Recent_Comments

Thursday, August 15, 2019

VeganMoFo2019 Day 15: Yup, Cake!


A Party Without Cake Is Just A Meeting
Of all the cakes I've wanted to try but never did, it was this... soda and a box mix. How is it I could never have time to do this I'll never understand considering it took all of about 2 minutes (really, 2 minutes), but here is my first soda cake. I've already seen at least one other blogger do this as well this year, different flavor though.

Some (many) Duncan Hines box cakes are indeed accidentally vegan until someone craps it up with animal products, totally unnecessary. I looked at Duncan Hines, and decided against it when I found this brand of organic box cake mix sitting on the shelf nearby. I want to support the companies that are bringing better quality products to us, and for the couple extra bucks it cost, it was worth it. Also, some (many) Duncan Hines frostings in a can are even accidentally vegan, but since I had some leftover frosting from a prior cake, I wanted to use it up. I went with ginger ale after watching someone do a 4 flavor soda cake taste test, they said root beer sucked and that's what I originally planned on. I happened to have a bottle of Dr. Better in the fridge, but that mysteriously disappeared (hmmm and yum). Off to the races I went. These were the ingredients:

2 things!
I opened the box, dumped it into a bowl, opened the soda, poured it in the same bowl. It looked like this:

Fizzy!
I waited for the fizz to go down, then gently stirred and added my vegan sprinkles to funfetti up the cake. I dumped it into a pan I had sprayed with Vegelene and baked it about 20 minutes. It looked like this:

Cracked! I can fix that!
Yes, it cracked, who cares, I'm going to cover it with frosting. I did, it looked like this:

Yay, frosting and sprinkles fix everything!
And then the taste test. Well, it certainly was cakey, not dense at all. It barely had a ginger flavor, I was kinda wishing I didn't drink the Dr. Better and had used that instead maybe it would've given a better flavor. Then again, I had considered using the Dr. B for a chocolate soda cake, but time gets away, better luck next time.

It rose a decent amount for a 9x13 pan which is larger than I usually work with,
didn't look skimpy at all!
The other happy vegan was the ultimate taste tester. He said it was good enough to eat (I guess that's a compliment), and so he did. And then he cut another slice, and ate that later the same day. My verdict is this cake would be super fun to do with a kid because it's fizzy for a moment (even I was amused), it's super easy (a 5 year old can mix this) and it's fast. Great if you're in a jam with company coming, I am not kidding this is so ridiculous that I'm keeping a box of cake mix in my pantry from now on besides I always have flavored sparkling water on hand, even in flavors (I love the stuff). I won't comment on canned frosting, you gotta do what you gotta do, but over here doubtful it's on the list.

Cake 15 in the bag, we pass the half way point already tomorrow!

xo


2 comments: