Recent_Comments

Wednesday, August 7, 2019

VeganMoFo 2019 Day 7: Allergen Free Cake!

Allergen free vegan cake
No nuts, no soy, no wheat, no gluten
FULL OF FLAVOR!

Cake had a nice crumb
a little denser than I would've liked
Probably due to the millet flour I used since I didn't have superfine rice on hand

Every bit as lovely as any other vegan cake!
If you're vegan, likely you've seen the meme which is a bowl of ice with the caption "my vegan, gluten free, soy free, raw, non-GMO, organic, fat free, low carb dinner  meal is ready." I use the words "you've likely seen" because some dolt probably sent it to you in an email or posted it on your social media page, oh yeah, isn't "that guy" hilarious. I've unfollowed and unfriended people on social media for mocking vegans, I mean why would I want to be your friend if that's what you think of me?

Shown above is a chocolate cake with vanilla frosting which is vegan without the allergens of soy, nuts, gluten and wheat. It's even mostly organic (that's a bad thing meme-guy?) I have a good amount of allergen free recipes under my belt at this point, but I always want more. Right before Irma I had purchased a book called "Learning to Bake Allergen Free" (see photo below) as I hoped to improve my skill set for research and development when I create my own new allergen free recipes. Generally speaking, if someone is suddenly thrust in to the brave new world of food allergens, this book is a good one because it has chapters containing comprehensive information on the allergens themselves, and then options for replacements. Of course there are the recipes, a little over half the book is recipes. I never did anything with the book until around last week, I used the recipe for triple play chocolate cake, and creamy vanilla frosting. All that being said, I'm impressed with the cake recipe. It was a little denser than my go to allergen free chocolate cake, but this one provided a totally different flavor of chocolate cake, almost like a red velvet. The texture was not gritty at all. The flours I used were sorghum and millet. Normally I work with a combo that includes superfine rice flour, but didn't have that on hand. Trust me when I say it's to my advantage to work with as much as I have on hand when making 31 cakes just for the heck of it. I haven't a clue why that millet flour was lurking in the fridge, but there it was. I think had I used superfine rice flour the structure would have been a little lighter, less dense. I firmly believe anyone who has those food restrictions would be elated with this cake. Actually, the other happy vegan (who has no food allergies) had TWO SLICES of this cake, which floored me. He says he's not anti-GF baked goods, but I think he is. Back in my volume baking days, he'd always ask "is that gluten free" and then pass on any extras I might set aside for friends. Lately though, the gluten free baked goods I've been making he has been devouring. He's got such a massive sweet tooth I think he is a good barometer for what the John Q. Public will like, or not. This one passed the test big time. The frosting was a full shortening recipe, meaning you'll want to work with the finest flavorings possible to counter that issue. I always use organic extracts, but here I double whammied it by using organic vanilla extract, and organic vanilla powder. That powder is something I ration. I bought a pound quite a while ago, and since then vanilla has skyrocketed. I got a heads up a while ago from my account rep at one of the places I buy from that there was strife on the Ivory Coast and vanilla was predicted to far more than double (which it has done) so I invested and stockpiled at the time, which I'm still working off of. I shudder to think what I face when I have to buy again. I cannot imagine had I lost that in Irma, so thankful it made it through.

I have noticed that this book uses hemp milk. I'm in the habit of not using hemp products for anything that goes out the door for anyone else. I personally use a fair amount of hemp seeds, and of course have nothing against hemp products, in fact I'm exceptionally pro hemp. The issue is others, and this was reinforced by my time working at the natural foods cafe, people who are subject to drug testing for employment always made sure to indicate "make sure there's no hemp products in there." It might not trigger a false positive drug test anyway, but why should they have the concern of the risk when they specifically request no hemp. So, in my world, no hemp unless it's only for home use. Obviously this cake was going out the door (actually to that natural foods cafe for them to enjoy and give away to anyone as they pleased, yay!)

Another something to watch when baking for special needs are hidden allergens and cross contamination. For example, my pan spray is gluten free, but contains soy. I have to swap out to an allergen free choice for pan prep. Further, I also wash down all my counter first, and use small wares that have gone through the Sani-cycle on the dishwasher. I don't use hand towels (even fresh ones) when baking gluten free, in an overabundance of caution I use single use paper towels for this work. My point is, extra precautions are necessary and appropriate.

Overall, the book seems ok. I'll have at least one more cake from the book, maybe even 2, for you before the month is out.

You can be the one laughing at the ice cube meme, it's all fun and games until its one of your own loved ones, or even you yourself, diagnosed with food allergies so severe you land in the hospital gravely ill, or worse.

Pass on the memes, but never on the cake. 

xo

This is the book I pulled today's cake recipes from
the glare on the bottom right obscures the words
"soy & nuts"


2 comments: