Recent_Comments

Wednesday, August 21, 2019

VeganMoFo 2019 Day 21: SUMMER IS FOR STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKES!!!

Nothing compares
Nothing compares to you
Nothing compares
Nothing compares to you
(whatever happened to Sinead anyway?)

My social media feed exploded into a pumpkin and spice frenzy today, I have no idea why. It's AUGUST, STILL SUMMER! Now that I'm done screaming about August and Summer, let's get down to business. I am wholly against all things autumn, and totally for endless summer.  In the only way I know how, I reject fall and all that goes with it by bringing you the perfect summer dessert, strawberry shortcake. Two important things about this post. First, the biscuit recipe I used is from this link here: https://itdoesnttastelikechicken.com/vegan-strawberry-shortcake/  Why that link is extra important is because it's a recipe blog I really enjoy, and have made recipes too numerous to count from Sam. I followed her biscuit recipe exactly and for the first time ever, I made biscuits in a food processor. That's a super risky way in my opinion, but 4 pulses and poof the dough was ready to turn out. Check out Sam's blog if you're looking for some delicious, easy and not overly complicated recipes, I have never had a "fail" from anything off her pages!

The next important thing about this post is the whipping cream. I've been working with Miyoko's Homemade Vegan Pantry book for a few weeks now, I absolutely love this book. There are a few little tweaks and such I've discovered I need to make in some recipes, not sure if it's because of where I live (so very hot, so very humid) or the recipe itself from time to time, but on the few times I've had to tweak a recipe, it's minor. Today is an example of that. I made Miyoko's whipping cream, which is shown in the above picture. I could've gone to the Winn Dixie and gotten a spray can of non-dairy whip (another example of how vegan food has really gone mainstream, vegan spray cream in a can on my island!!!) but I've been wanting to try her whipped cream. So I did. And, it is superb! I love it! She has 2 versions, one with soy milk (shown) and one with water (which supposedly provides results more like Cool Whip). This recipes requires nuts, and I have no clue if you can substitute. However, my experience was that after the 5 minutes of whipping, it was still runny, OH NO! I was not about to throw a whole batch of this in the compost especially so close to my 3 cake fails in one day (angel food) last week. I grabbed my xanthan gum and put about 1/8 teaspoon into the mixture. Within 1 minute it began to firm up, and by 3 minutes, it was what you see. I probably could have whipped it even more, but it's getting late (ok, it's after 10pm and I'm still writing for you). The flavor is not too sweet and the texture is super creamy.

Oh yes, this was the perfect recipe for today, not a hint of pumpkins and mums!"Summer summer fruits, it wouldn't be summer without 'em." 

Eek, #21, over and out!

1 comment: