Recent_Comments

Sunday, August 4, 2019

VeganMoFo 2019 Day 4: Party Cake!

Double layer chocolate velvet cake
filled with peanut butter buttercream
enrobed with peanut butter buttercream
frosted with chocolate fudge buttercream
piled high with chocolate chip cookies and
salted caramel popcorn
vegan sprinkles (not a party w/o sprinkles)
and finished with shaved chocolate
After the cake was cut, it looked a bit like cauliflower in there
trust me, it's not!
The birthday boy prepping to cut that mo'fo

Day 4, 31 cakes in 31 days.

J. Geils comes to mind on this cake:

They're dancin' on the ceilin'
They're dancin' on the floor
People everywhere comin' through the door
They know there's a party goin' on

My post fits the prompt for today, even though I'm not following prompts; it's bake a spectacular cake. Spectacular is relative, more like a party on that cake.

Todd works at Food for Thought in the cafe. I worked there for about 16 months through our Irma recovery and I know that no one appreciates food more than Todd. He's a great person, fun to be around, almost always even tempered (you have to be a HUGE you-know-what to get under his skin), has a twisted sense of humor (which this world needs far more of), and made my time there far better than had he not been there. Todd is one of those people that is genuine in his good naturedness, oh my goodness he sure knows how to make me laugh. It was his birthday, so I made a cake. That's it above in the pictures, and yes, that's Todd.

This cake was quite large, I think I  used 10" layers of my non-published recipe for chocolate velvet cake, enrobed and filled with peanut butter frosting (Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World recipe, PRO TIP: do not use all natural peanut butter in peanut butter frosting, use one with added oil. I used a creamy vegan brand, still organic but with added oil), frosted with fudge icing (oh no, I forget what recipe I used...), topped with salted caramel corn (I used the caramel sauce recipe from Modern Vegan Baking and simply added a generous amount of Fleur de sel when stacking the decorations), vegan chocolate sprinkles from Sweetopolita, chocolate chip cookies (my non-published recipe), and shaved vegan dark chocolate (I think I used a ChocoLove bar). I made this cake several weeks ago, I should've written notes. I thought I'd remember everything, obviously not, my apologies. I chose this combination because Todd blisses out over peanut butter (we used enough of it in the Cafe making peanut butter bliss smoothies), and is constantly snacking, I mean CONSTANTLY. I figured a cake with snacks on the cake would be perfect for Todd.

It may seem like a lot of components to make, but they're all simple so the cake comes together reasonably quickly. It is attention grabbing for sure, it ain't nothin' but a party.

Every time you feel that groove
Ain't nothin' but a party
Ain't nothin' but a party
Ain't nothin' but a party

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment