Recent_Comments

Thursday, August 8, 2019

VeganMoFo 2019 Day 8: Coffee Cake (or Tea Cake if you must) - yup, allergen free

Allergen Friendly Coffee Cake!

Oops, I did it again. Another allergen free cake. From the same book I showed you yesterday. I changed it from apple cinnamon coffee cake (as published) to blueberry apple cake, because I didn't have enough apples, had an abundant supply of blueberries AND since today's theme is serve something with tea so I omitted the word coffee. See how I did that? Impressed yet?

What can I say, this is gluten free, soy free, wheat free and nut free. Being that it's vegan it's always egg free and dairy free. Full of flavor, I'm not steering you wrong. I would change the way this cake is done if I choose to make it again. The recipe as written calls for the diced apples & cinnamon to be sprinkled over the top. Even though I read this recipe 3 times, somehow I missed that. So, my gloopy shredded (yikes) apples and thawing frozen blueberries didn't make for such a pretty topping, personally I think they should just be mix-ins, and that is my plan moving forward. This coffee cake did not have a crumble topping (what?!!!) which where I'm from is just all wrong... it's GOTTA have the topping. As usual, when I make a recipe the first time is always as published or with very little variation, thus no topping. No bueno. Moving forward, I'll make a simple crumb topping using shortening (allergen free), cinnamon and some rice flour. Rice flour probably will work great for a nice crunchy topping. I used coconut milk, again subbing for the hemp milk which we spoke about yesterday too. You may have to tent or cover the cake if it's browning too much or too fast (as mine did). I used a combo of sorghum, starch and superfine rice flour (yes, I had it this time). Once again the other happy vegan scarfed 2 pieces, and the people who got the rest of the cake said they liked it too. Me? I didn't even take a single bite, I really dislike cooked fruit, another reason you'll never catch me making a pie unless it's Key lime (or chocolate).

I'll be running with the allergen free theme tomorrow as well. I think I'm comfy enough having done 3 recipes (yes, tomorrow's is already done) from the book, that I can recommend it. It's not just a baking book, this is a book to help people plan meals from breakfast to dinner, and since it's allergen friendly the dairy and eggs are omitted thus we have an "accidentally vegan" cookbook. 

Since today's prompt was "make something to serve with tea" I thought this would fit the bill nicely. Yes, it's a coffee cake (apparently I have an accent and it shows when I say "caw-fee" people go bat shit crazy laughing and accuse me of being a New Yorker--I'm not--not that there's anything wrong with being from New York by the way) so let's just call it cake #8 of 31 cakes in 31 days.

You can't buy happiness, but you can buy tea, or coffee, or cake or whatever... and that's kinda the same thing.

xo



No comments:

Post a Comment