Recent_Comments

Saturday, August 17, 2019

VeganMoFo 2019 Day 17: Marble Cake!

Marble Cake!
Another winner!

My mother really liked Entenmann's products, in particular their coffee cake. Now, I have plans to make a coffee cake this month because of mom, but MY Entenmann's favorite was marble cake. Mom would bring one home for the family every now and then, I really loved it. The top was always super soft and a little bit sticky. That was the best part and I saved it for last every time. I remember picking out the pieces of vanilla vs. chocolate, eating the vanilla first "to get it over with," then the chocolate, and then that super soft, slightly sticky top always as the grand finale. I also remember my mother teaching me to make marble layer cake from scratch. Magically mine always seemed to have more chocolate than vanilla, no one complained.

I had completely forgotten about marble cake, either in a loaf or layers, until bopping around the internet one day. The name "zebra cake" caught my eye, so I clicked. It's marble cake! I never heard it referred to as zebra cake, but I'm ok with it if that's your jam. I'm sure the name comes from the way the batter is layered, not swirled like all the other marble cakes I've known. I like it this way, far more difficult for me to pick out the vanilla cake to "get it over with" yeah I'd probably still do that if I could get away with it. This cake is so good, honestly I have made it no less than 4 times in the last month. The recipe link is provided at the end of this post, please scroll down.

My changes in Bianca's recipe were minimal. I omitting the soy flour because I never seem to have that on hand anymore, plus it's not readily available anywhere down here. I have made this cake twice subbing with almond flour for the soy, and twice just omitting. I don't think it matters, it's only a tablespoon, supposedly for texture. I'm just so enchanted by a cake that changes with every slice, I couldn't care less about soy, almond or leaving it out. For the non-dairy milk I used unsweetened soy, and where you see the starch v. pudding powder option, I went for the starch. I use nonGM safflower oil, and I've always omitted the zest. Lastly, I do not use the topping or frosting options on my cakes.

I really miss the sticky top of Entenmann's so I've made efforts to recreate that on each cake in various ways, to no avail. I've tried brushing with aquafaba, soy milk, tenting the cake, and leaving it alone. It's always the same. Not bad mind you, just not that super soft, slightly sticky top I remember so well. Maybe I just like the sound of the words super soft, slightly sticky top that I keep bringing it up?

This cake an easy and pretty breakfast cake, a really nice cake to bring to a friend "just because" or when you want a nice hostess gift. It's another recipe I'm recommending, no special ingredients (beyond the soy flour discussed above), no special equipment. I think the only thing missing from this cake is a picture with my little "eat cake" fork, somehow she didn't make an appearance in any of my 4 zebras so far.

Find the recipe at: https://biancazapatka.com/en/zebra-marble-cake/

#17 down and done.

xo



1 comment:

  1. Another winner, marble cake. I like vanilla coconut ice cream with mine.

    ReplyDelete