Recent_Comments

Wednesday, August 28, 2019

VeganMoFo 2019 Day 28: Mocktail Cake

"You Bring the Tequila, I'll Bring the Bad Decisions"
MARGARITA CAKE!
Today there's a prompt for us to make a mocktail/cocktail drink. In keeping with my own theme of 31 cakes in 31 days, I cake-ified the margarita cupcakes from Isa and Terry's Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World. I've had this book for many years, but this recipe never appealed to me as I'm not a tequila fan.  I also like fluffy frosting, the cupcakes don't have either, it's a thin and flat, very soft icing. These issues of my own precluded me from making this delicious cake for years, wow this recipe is YUM! I made a half recipe of the cupcake batter, and baked it in one 6" round pan. I made the entire icing recipe because usually I need more and just double it. Big mistake, the frosting made plenty and then some. Since this was a cupcake recipe, any issues I have with the cake I chalk up to my own change of baking in a cake pan. The cake baked up very quickly (about 16 minutes) and is tender. The edges however are a bit chewy, not in a doughy way either. I'm not sure how to describe it, I mean it's not bad at all but I noticed it. As far as the frosting goes, this is a very soft, wet, almost fluid frosting. While it's doesn't harden up like royal icing, it does set and is firm to the touch. I'm going to experiment and see if I can freeze this frosting I have quite a bit left and I'd like to use it again. If alcohol is not your thing, I think you should just skip this recipe completely. I'm not sure what would be a suitable sub for the tequila. If you just like lime flavor, that's fine, but I would think you can just use a lime citrus cake recipe and not deal with the measurements being off in this recipe by omitting the tequila. 

This cake is surely not for the wee ones, it has tequila in the batter AND the frosting. The cake tastes like lime to me (yes, obviously there's lime in both cake and frosting as well), but in the frosting the tequila totally shines through and is a star. This is a delicious combo. I knew I was going to be making this cake today and all day long I figured I'd pop a slice into a martini glass for a cute photo op. Early evening I realized I have no martini glasses, they vanished in the storm. I keep forgetting the stupidest things like that. I decided to pop the slice of cake into a wine glass (which isn't really a wine glass, it's what I use for parfaits here when I serve guests). It looked ridiculous, but I took the photo anyway. As you can see, I didn't use it. Once I downloaded (uploaded?) the photos, I found a perfectly placed cat hair lying on the surface just next to the glass. Invisible to the eye when shooting, but glaring in all it's glory when I looked at the photo. Sigh.

I'm happy I at least will get this post up before midnight. This was the first day in a really long time that I've found myself completely overwhelmed and over scheduled. It's not a good feeling. I'm still functioning at the "do one thing a day" level, and that's been working well since I set that rule in place with the New Year. I've learned my lesson, tomorrow I recommit to my own set rule.

I have 3 more days of cakes. I'm getting a little sad because I have way more cakes to share than days on the calendar.

#28 down and done, tequila style.

xo



1 comment: