Recent_Comments

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Can't a Girl Eat in Peace?

Food. Life here revolves around it, its part of the business. Being vegan even more so. Yeah, I got the snarky question again very recently "so if you don't eat meat, what DO you eat?" I wanted to reply with something just as snarky, but I didn't. Instead, I took the opportunity to try and educate the seeker. Stupid me. They weren't interested in hearing anything I had to say. No, they were interested in the sound of their own voice... and their own eye-rolling histrionics.

No newsflash, vegans do not eat flesh, or by-products from animals. Yet, anyone reading this already knows that. Vegetarianism has gone much more mainstream than days past, and most people at least have heard the world "vegan." I am constantly astounded though by some people feeling so attacked because of something I adhere to. I'm not out there at steakhouses going "ewww, how can you EAT that?!" or dissecting the food on someone else's plate, why do some people think this is so very ok for them to do to me?

What do I eat? Everything that is NOT animal flesh or by-products. "How much time do you have to listen to my list?" is what I should've said to the hater who bashed my lifestyle. In the last 2 weeks, I've had more smoothies than I could probably count, amazing stuffed squash, hummus plates, vegetable timbales, chocolate, scones, frittatas, seitan peppersteak (courtesy of The Cafe in Key West), too many fresh vegetable juices (thanks Champion!!) to count, hot cereal, cold cereal, fruits, grain salads, vegetables, kale, kale and more kale, plus a host of other things. Someone who is several years my junior, carrying 50 extra (or more) pounds on their frame, is not in a position to come up to me in a public place and disrespect me about my food choices, especially considering I was minding my own business not bothering anyone.

I've said it before, and it bears repeating, being vegan is a lightning rod issue I believe mostly because everyone knows there's problems with conventional eating. We know this, its not a mystery, the information is in mainstream media. We've all seen or heard something about the horrors of agri-business, be it cruelty, filth, disease, or whatever. I was brought up as a conventional eater. Its what I was taught. I didn't know any better. But, once information was forthcoming, I began making changes. What can I say... there's always gonna be "haters" out there. I guess I picked the wrong day to go out to eat, someone had a problem with something, and took it out on me.

After I finish this post, I'm going to enjoy this 80 degree day, do my 5K and then give thanks for all the good (including the good people) in the world. After that, I'm going out to eat with friends tonight. In a public place. I'm pretty sure if needed they will form a wall around me to protect me from any ignoramus who may stumble my way. I hope.

1 comment:

  1. I'm not a vegan Jen, but I totally respect your conviction and dedication to the lifestyle you've chosen. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete