Recent_Comments

Sunday, February 13, 2011

To Do, Or Not To Do... That Is the Question.

If anything on this planet gets cloned, please let it be me.

It is without a doubt that I think I can accomplish more than I am physically able. When I make my "to do" lists, usually I envision a page full of crossed out items by day's end. The Universe laughs. I should listen.

I made a "to do" list last night, and in general had a decent idea of how this week would shape up for obligations, and any "spare" time. Mr. Happy Vegan stumbled upon my "to do" list after I had written it, and he thought it was, um, shall I say, ambitious? Yes, that is the word I'll choose. I thought he was being pessimistic on me. I was convinced not only would I do everything on that list, but I would have time for a run AND a workout. Stop right there.

I'm coming up on 9pm. I have 2 racks of cookies cooling on racks, 2 trays of Valentines' treats chilling in the fridge, 4 boxes of sweets to wrap and give tomorrow, and I still have not even begun to vacuum and wash the kitchen floor. Not to mention my regular breakfast prep that is not even started, and a few other choice necessities not taken care of. Eating? Forget about it. About 5 minutes ago I scarfed down a Happy Buddha frittata, I couldn't muster the energy to make a salad and sit at the dining room table.

Most of my days are NOT like this. They are busy, even over-scheduled, but they are not like this. Holidays throw me off, they always do. It has to do with my inability to gauge just exactly how long something will take, because in my imaginary world, things get done properly the first time... which is always what I call the fatal flaw in the story.

I really like watching food shows like Challenge, Cupcake Wars, etc. If you wonder why I enjoy these shows so much, its because I love watching others make mistakes in the kitchen. It validates my own kitchen issues. Take cookies, for example. I have tried & true recipes. Made most of them dozens of times, some of the literally hundreds of times, maybe thousands (for 1 particular recipe that is no exaggeration). Now, I was making cookies today for a delivery scheduled for tomorrow in Key West. Somehow, something went wrong on one of the double batches. This is why at 9pm I have racks of cookies cooling on my counter, instead of being wrapped, labeled and boxed for delivery. Last night on a food show, I watched a baker make a recipe she has made probably hundreds of times. After she had the product baking in the oven, her assistant realized they left an ingredient out. I understood, understood completely. And, tonight as I realized the mistake in my recipe (picking up 1 box that looks similar to another box of a different ingredient), I thought of the baker on television last night.

Yesterday morning as guests were just sitting down to breakfast, I picked up the OJ container that Mr. Happy Vegan had taken out of the fridge at my direction, gonna make smoothies for guests. I picked up that carton and shook it with all my might. Did I mention that Mr. Happy Vegan did me a "favor" and removed the cap without my asking, or telling me. Orange juice flew in slow motion out that spout. I watched it defy gravity, and time stood still. Then, there was juice everywhere; on the cabinets above the counter, and below the counter. OJ dripping down into my utensil drawers, pooling on my feet, and across the floor. There were expletives, I admit it, something I never do while cooking & baking. You may think its silly, but I think its very important to be in a pretty good mood while in the kitchen, lest any negative energy flow into the food. Couldn't help it with the juice, something as benign as that added about 30 minutes of extra chores to my day. Stuff like that, its what I really should put on my "to do" list. Yes, for every "to do" on the list, there should definitely be at least one "un do" related to each said particular chore. Perhaps that's the secret.

1 comment:

  1. The Valentine's treats were delectable by the way!! Thank you for all of your hard work, and good energy! It is a pleasure staying at your B&B and it feels like a world all its own - a paradise. :) (Kristi & Rafael)

    ReplyDelete