Recent_Comments

Thursday, September 18, 2014

Vegan MoFo 2014 Day 18: Pumpkin Gnocchi, Recipe

Scroll down for video, and recipe.

It's pumpkin time. The world goes mad for pumpkin every year come September. Not me, I'm not a fan, but you already knew that anyway.

Today I share a recipe for vegan pumpkin gnocchi. I took an order for vegan pumpkin cookies, and had leftover pumpkin. What to do … what to do. Then I remembered I have a recipe for vegan pumpkin gnocchi that's super simple. It's not traditional, obviously. It's also not my recipe, but I cannot give credit where credit is due as when I took this recipe off the internet so long ago, I did not preserve the source. My apologies to the writer of the recipe.

This is a more delicate dough than regular gnocchi. Be gentle with your dough. Do not over mix, you do not want to develop the gluten because then you'll end up with tough gnocchi. I see no reason why you could not make this recipe gluten free, by using your gluten free flour (or flour blend) of choice. Omit the xanthan gum or guar gum (if you use it), doubt you'll need it here with all that pumpkin anyway. This recipe is, I think, easy to "personalize" if you'd like. Maybe mix in some fresh basil? Some red pepper flakes? Any type of sauce preference will do… the original recipe had some kind of vegan butter sage sauce, which I remember as being really awful, I didn't save that part. Then again, if that's your thing, go for it.

I talk a bit about my Italian grandparents. Grandpa was a chef, but only cooked at restaurants… grandma cooked at home, I clearly remember this, as cooking at home was "women's work." They didn't speak a word of English when they arrived in America, and worked hard to learn English very quickly. They actually forbade my dad from speaking Italian in public while he was growing up. I wish I had more memories of them. Hard to believe I had a professional chef in the family, and I never, ever, nope not once, discussed food, recipes, nor do I even have a single recollection of any family food traditions with either of them. They passed when I was quite young. I have a rolling pin that was either his or my grandmother's; that rolling pin is HUGE, I'd say about 4 feet long. What in the world did they ever do with a rolling pin that size I cannot help but wonder. I do like that I have this rolling pin though. Even though I have no idea what to do with it, I have this connection, sort of like the missing link from them to me. Maybe.

Here's the video, and then the recipe.


Vegan Pumpkin Gnocchi
Credit: I do not know. Sincere apologies, I took this off the internet a long time ago, and did not preserve the author. This is not my recipe, I am not claiming it as my own.

1.5 cups organic pure pumpkin (or other squash)
1 cup all purpose flour (organic here)
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp spices (I used 1/4 tsp allspice and 1/4 tsp nutmeg)

Combine all ingredients in a bowl, stir til mixed. Once combined, knead til smooth, about 3 minutes. Don't over handle the dough, otherwise you're gnocchi will be tough.

Roll into tubes on floured surface. Cut into little pieces, coax the little pillow pieces into curly curved pillow pieces.

Get a pot of water on a rolling boil. Then add a few gnocchi at a time (don't want them to stick together, and you want them to have lots of room to fly around in the water). They'll float to the top when ready (2-3 minutes). Remove gnocchi from water with slotted spoon, place on plate and either keep warm til ready to serve, or serve immediately with sauce of choice.

Get your pumpkin on, if you must.

xo


No comments:

Post a Comment