Recent_Comments

Sunday, September 14, 2014

Vegan MoFo 2014 Day 14: Two GREAT Recipes and…. some REALLY bad bagels

Scroll down for video and recipes.

This video pretty much speaks for itself.




The fruits of my labors. NOM!

Recipe #1

Marinated Kale Salad
(from: www.katherinemartinelli.com)

Ooooo, this is soooooooo good……

Make ahead at least 1 hour to allow the kale to relax and absorb the great flavors

Juice of 2 lemons
1/3 cup olive oil (I reduce mine greatly, you do as you please)
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard (whole grain preferred, but not necessary)
salt and pepper (add as you please… for lower sodium people, omit the salt, you really won't miss it)
1 bunch kale (original recipe calls for laminate kale, however I prefer curly kale) … roughly chopped
1/4 cup Veggie Parm (Parma! or whatever brand you please) 

Whisk the lemon juice, olive oil, and mustard in a bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Add the kale, toss with your hands, and massage the vinaigrette into the kale.

Add the vegan Parm. This is optional, but it does make the recipe "pop." I typically do reduce the amount, but do as you please.

If possible (if you can stand waiting!) allow 1 hour prior to serving. Keep leftover (LEFTOVER?!! YOU KIDDING ME?) in a container in the fridge. Marinates well.

Recipe #2
Mustard Crusted Tofu w/kale and sweet potatoes
(from www.Food52.com)

So, when I made the video, we hadn't eaten this yet. As soon as the video was done, we got to business of eating… holy heck, this recipe is delicious.

1 pound extra firm tofu (pressed or drained; here I used my Tofu Xpress)
1/2 cup Dijon mustard
4T oil
1/2 onion, sliced
1T garlic (I used 3 large pieces)
1 bunch kale, chopped (I used curly)
1 small sweet potato (I doubled… I really like sweet potatoes, plus I had a giant head of kale)
2T lime juice (locals… use Key lime. I like lemon juice, so I used that)

Press and drain tofu. Cut into 8 slices. Spread with mustard. Heat 2 T olive oil in large skillet over medium heat, add onion and ginger, sautĂ© 1 minute (note: the ingredients do not list ginger… but its in the text of the recipe. I didn't use ginger, I don't think I'd like the flavor with these ingredients…)  Add the sweet potato, kale and lime juice. Cover, lower heat, and cook about 10-12 minutes, til wilted.

NOTE: I did things differently… I heated the oil, then added the sweet potatoes because they take longer to cook. Then, when they were almost ready, I added the onion, sweated that out, and then added the kale and garlic, which I pressed. When it was almost all ready, I added the lemon juice.

Meanwhile, in another skillet, heat the remaining 2T oil (I used water). Add tofu, and cook a few minutes on each side til brown. Note: the recipe also says "mustard seeds" although that's not in the ingredient list. Don't worry, that's just another extra you don't need/won't miss. I didn't use them, and wouldn't want to anyway. So, as the tofu browned, I did brush a little bit more mustard on the tofu.

Arrange the kale/sweet potatoes on your plate, and place tofu slice on top.

Feast!

xo




No comments:

Post a Comment