Recent_Comments

Friday, September 12, 2014

Vegan MoFo 2014 Day 12: Thrift Shops and Yes I Love Wigs

Scroll down for video.

Today was rainy and gloomy. I managed a run between the deluges, but spent the better part of the day in the kitchen playing with recipes. I hoped to post a recipe for a lentil loaf here, but it really sucked. I'm choking some down now smothered in ketchup (one of the last bottles of Annie's I'll ever use).

I like poking around in thrift shops, ya really never know what you'll find. I'm partial to kitchen items. I like to purchase items in good condition, and only things I have a purpose for. There are some items, as a vegan, I'd never consider (for example a deep fryer… not that I'd want one anyway since I do not fry things, but I'm pretty sure I'd never get the stink of death out of it enough for me to feel good enough to use it even if I wanted one). Over the years I've made some really great purchases for my kitchen, and this short video opens up my cabinets for you to see some of my favorite thrift shop kitchen buys. I do not look for "commercial grade" when I buy stuff… I want "commercial." I look for the NSF stamp. I am also very partial to stainless steel, and things that are exceptionally durable since I put almost everything through my superheated dishwasher which will melt many plastics. If I purchase something and I'm not happy with it, I simply donate it back to a thrift shop, no biggie. At this point in my life, there are very few occasions when I sell an item, instead I'm much more about donating. Here in the Keys, I've got a "pecking" order of what I will donate where. Someone is always in need, and for me it's better to donate an item than for me to have those few extra dollars in my pocket. This is my personal choice, and I'm happy to be as fortunate as I am to be able to do things this way. There was a time in my life when things were not that way, so I'm kinda paying it forward in my later years.



By the way…. the wig? Thrift shop (yes, I washed it!) The glasses? Vintage. Thrift shop. Earrings? Ditto. The apron is from Herbivore Clothing, that is one of my most favorite purchases (perhaps THE favorite item) I've ever gotten from them. I don't buy everything at thrift shops, of course not. I've invested in some very high end items for my kitchen, so it makes me smile a little bit when I find something like a $3 stainless steel hand pump foamer (vegan foam!) I'm sure you "get" that, right?

Happy shopping, and see ya next time right here for MoFo!

xo


No comments:

Post a Comment