Recent_Comments

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Rocketman's Triumphant Return!

In the midst of worldwide turmoil, there has been a small return to normalcy, thank goodness. Rocketman the Pirate has returned to the stage. He's back. He's awesome.

Rocketman is a Keys-fixture. I've written about him before, we are fans. My plate of beans & rice always tastes better when enjoyed to the laid back sounds of Rocketman's style of island music. My visits are planned around his gigs, so I haven't been out for beans & rice since Rocketman fell seriously ill months ago.

We were all worried about him. He's part of the community, and quite loved.

We knew Rocketman would be returning with 2 gigs this weekend, Friday night was solo, last night was duo. We planned on heading up on Friday night, in fact Mr. Happy Vegan has his best aloha wear on with his Sea Shepherd hat, ready to roll out the door. Me? That's another story. I was cold. The winds shifted on Friday and they came from the north. The temps cooled off quite a bit, and here I was with no shoes suitable for socks, yet needing socks if I were going to be sitting in an open air, on the water, Keys place. It's all my fault we didn't go on Friday, I wussed out due to it not being hot enough. I knew Rocketman would be there again on Saturday, so alternate plans were made.

I baked heart shaped cookies for Rocketman, and we headed up Saturday night. The place was packed when we arrived, and there he was on stage, singing, and banging the congas. I breathed a sigh of relief. Just seeing him made me happy.

As soon as he broke the set, we headed up to say hi. He was beaming with all the love the crowd was sending. We gave him a couple of great big hugs, and welcomed him back. Told him how much we missed him, and how happy we are to see him.

Rocketman navigated the crowd a little slower than before, but its all good. He told us about all the different therapy he's continuing to do, and commitment to his physical recovery. Its been a long road for our Florida Keys Rocketman. I think the last step of his road to wellness is actually being back on the stage, able to perform, in one of his favorite places. Right where he belongs, nurtured and supported by anyone local or visiting who appreciates the Florida Keys. Rocketman at Porky's is like peanut butter & jelly... they just belong together.

Welcome back Rocketman! We missed you! We love you! See you again real soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment