Recent_Comments

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

RIP - Big Daddy

The title says it all. Big Daddy, beloved alpha male in our Key deer herd, has died.

This didn't have to happen, it was another senseless death. Big Daddy was struck by a vehicle, and left to die.

99.9% of the guests who have stayed here had the privilege of meeting Big Daddy. He was the alpha male in the herd, and quite sociable. He was smart, curious, and at times very stubborn. Big Daddy was a gorgeously handsome big buck, with 14 points on his rack. He was quite large by Key deer standards. He loved the ladies, and has left a good number of babies as his legacy. Sadly he won't be around to see his own fawns this year. Big Daddy was curious. He was interested in people, and what they were doing. Perhaps this was his undoing?

Big Daddy was a favorite. He was smart, and had a special personality. You could tell by the look in his eyes his determination when he wanted something, mostly food. So many mornings I would look out at the ocean and see Big Daddy standing on his 2 hind legs reaching for the mangrove leaves on our tree that grows on our flats.

The Key deer are an endangered species. Exact numbers vary, but we can pretty much all agree there's not more than 900-1000 of them in the world, and they are all located on Big Pine and a couple surrounding Keys. The vast majority of them are on Big Pine. One of the reasons I moved here was the Key deer. I love them so much, and find great comfort in watching them live their lives. They are beautiful, sensitive, curious, souls who care about each other. They spend many hours grooming each other, and even play together (its very true, I have seen them play!)

Most unfortunately, many people drive down my street looking for Key deer. They actually lure them to their cars with promise of junk food or bread, and even trick the deer by reaching with outstretched hands holding rocks pretending its food. Honestly, I have seen this happen too many times to count. People sitting in their cars, windows down, camera in one hand, food in the other. Stopped in the middle of the street. Its outrageous. Often this sickening behavior occurs RIGHT NEXT TO signs on the street warning of the illegality of feeding the deer. Yet, people are selfish, they just don't care. All they want is the photo. The endangered Key deer are regarded by these people as zoo animals. So, here are these morons wanting a picture, luring the gentle Key deer into the street. Then, next time a car comes down the street not stopping, the Key deer are still looking for a handout. The Key deer have been exposed to handout feeding so often, that they just stroll into the street, and will not get out of the way.

People on my street speed too often. I have been cursed at, screamed at, and disrespected by people I stop and warn about feeding the deer or driving too fast. I try to be nice when I see someone stopped. I make my best effort to explain the dangers. I tell them about the spotted fawn I had to cover with a bath towel 2 seasons ago, struck & killed near my home. I still cry over that. But, the handouts continue, and at times I am treated like an enemy by the violator. In reality, I should simply take a picture and give it to the Refuge for them to mail out a ticket.

I understand that there are many people out there, however, who DO understand the treasure that the Key deer are. People who devote their lives to protecting them, and assist in protecting their habitat. It is important that anyone who sees illegal feeding of Key deer not be afraid to become involved. Stop & pull over. As nice as you can be, explain why what they are doing is so terrible. Explain that by stopping their illegal activity, they may help break a cycle that is causing the majority of Key deer deaths. The Key deer are beloved, endangered, and need a helping hand, not a hand out.

We're absolutely heartbroken over the loss of Big Daddy. He was taken before his time, he had a lot of good years left in him which he would have enjoyed thoroughly. But, now that's not going to happen. Because hand feeding over time taught him not to fear cars. Struck by a cowardly driver who didn't stop. They left him there alone, left him there to die. Whoever they are, they know it, and they have blood on their hands.

Karma will settle the score for the driver who didn't stop. That just doesn't matter though for Big Daddy.

Big Daddy, we loved you and will miss you. I will never forget you. Thank you for your frequent visits, and for your countless hours of wonderment for so many. May you rest in peace.

1 comment:

  1. Oh no!!! I don't know how I just found your blog Jen, but glad I did...although reading this news broke my heart. I will never forget him either! ♥

    ~Jackie and Sheri (Heaven guests just before this horrific accident)

    ReplyDelete