Recent_Comments

Thursday, March 14, 2013

Nooooooooooooo! Stuck on the Bridge!

It happens a few times every year.... I get stuck on the bridge. Which bridge? Did you really just ask me that?  THE bridge.  The 7 Mile Bridge. Woe is me, it was NOT a good Tuesday morning. Although, as is evidenced by the reason for the bridge closure, sadly others had a far worse Tuesday than I did.

As usual, I picked up Pop for the drive to Marathon as well as some food shopping for him. I planned on making a couple other brief stops while I was in town up there, but that all fell apart.  Remarkably, I was ahead of schedule on Tuesday. Pop ALWAYS is ahead of schedule, so I decided to leave about 15 minutes earlier. After we situated ourselves in the car, we began the usual idle chatter. Traffic was moving great, but pretty heavy (typical for this busy time of year).  Shortly into our trip across the 7 Mile Bridge, all cars in front of me slammed on the brakes, and we were all completely stopped. Within seconds, both Pop and I knew this was bad because NO traffic was coming across the bridge in the opposite direction.  After sitting for about 10 minutes, I told Pop we might have to turn around. He protested, something he rarely does about anything at all. I said let's wait another 15 minutes and see what happens.  As we settled in, the idle chatter got less and less.  Water terror girl stuck on bridge began to estimate the height of the span we were on at that point, the depth of the water below us, and all sorts of scenarios of what would happen when the bridge collapsed with me on it.

Since there was no opposing traffic, the bridge wasn't breathing much. Until the wind would kick. As the rolling of the bridge came and went, Pop would chime in with little "whoooeeeeee, feel that?" commentary, knowing full well that bridges and water are just not for me.  "Yes Pop, I feel that......"

This was our view for over 1 hour.
Stuck just before the hump.... the highest point on the bridge.
Just before the highest point to fall when the bridge collapses, with me on it. 

The extra 15 minutes passed.... no movement.

5 more minutes passed.  Nothing.

Check out the view in the side mirror.... traffic backed up as far as I could see.
Time to flick on the radio, maybe we can catch a bulletin?  Indeed, within 2 minutes we heard the airwaves telling us that there had been a terrible motorcycle wreck up the bridge, the span was closed in both directions and had been since "x" time earlier. So, now we had a reason for why the closure.

Anytime I hear of a wreck, I cringe. Any time I hear of a motorcycle wreck, my stomach rolls more than that bridge. There are no helmet laws in the State of Florida, and while many feel differently than I do, my feelings are if you're on a bike, wear a helmet if you value yourself at all. I used to do a bit of riding here and there, but it's been a long time for me. I no longer have a desire to get on a bike, ever although I understand the lure, I really do.  It's empowering. It's exhilarating. It feels so free. However, most places I go aren't really good places to ride; too many people. I personally never got on a bike without a helmet. There's lots of new, more modern, safety gear available, even vegan safety gear (Kevlar lined jeans!)  But, both Pop and I heard the report of "serious crash with head injuries, airlift required," and knew the rider most likely did not have a helmet. We later learned that indeed he was not wearing a helmet (not that we are assessing blame, please, never.... no, that is NOT what I am saying) and the rider perished. May his soul rest in peace.

Back to the the jam......

People were out of their cars, and looking over the bridge. Video cameras, and regular cameras were in everyone's hands. I had mine with me too, but there was no way I was getting out of that car, NO way.  After a VERY long time of being completely stopped, some cars began coming in the opposite direction. I breathed a huge sigh of relief, thinking "our turn will come soon."  All through this time, Pop would be the one to initiate most of the dialogue, and most of the time it was good natured ribbing of me--water terror girl, stuck on the bridge. Once some traffic began to pass us, it truly seemed like every other vehicle was a truck. Pop also observed this as the bridge sprung to life.... breathing up and down, up and down, up and down. That's also when Pop sprung to life with his assessments of all the truck traffic. As I muttered my feelings of "why didn't I stock this car with an emergency kit and a hammer to peck us out of when the bridge collapses?".... Pop's response was "honey, just pack snacks." I adore Pop, I don't remember what life was like before I knew him, and cannot imagine life without him.  He has a certain way of getting to the heart of the matter, like packing snacks, oh, and one of his other recommendations was "slippers, too."

Winnie the Pooh-ish words of wisdom.

After more than an hour of being stuck, we moved.  Slowly, and not all the way over, but we moved. And, I could SEE Marathon on the other side.  But, unfortunately, we again came to a complete stop, and this is where we landed:

Um, yeah, that sure LOOKS like a seam to me...


Ok, now this photo might not look to the average person as anything different than any other place on the bridge, but I am not the average person. I'm terrified of water.  And bridges.  Look closer.... see that line on the bridge? I assume it is a seam. Assessed by me as a weaker spot on the bridge, and as THE spot that bridge was certain to collapse under all the static weight it was under.  My span was certain to break free and end in the water, where I would be trapped because the electric windows would short out, I didn't have a hammer to peck us out, I couldn't swim anyway even if I did peck us out, and what was left of me would be shark food.

It's always interesting to be me, and Pop, stuck on the bridge.  Pop's assessment of the seam?  "You'll be knocked out anyway as soon as you hit the water" then something about the concrete from the other span landing on top of me, I would never know what hit me. I pointed out, yes I would, because he just told me ahead of time. Raucous laughter from Pop.  Sweaty palms on my end of things.

Eventually we made it over the bridge.  Traffic was a  nightmare all the way through town, and even all the way home. At least by the time I was heading back over the bridge with groceries in tow the flow was moving. It stopped completely again on my way back on to Big Pine, by then I was far away from the bridge.  We have 1 traffic light on my island, just 1 traffic light, yet it always backs up traffic when there's too much volume. The morning tragedy resulted in delays into the early afternoon in both directions. Truth be told, once I got off the bridge, I was ok, and more focused on what actually happened to cause the situation, and that kept things in better perspective for me. I cannot, however, help my anxieties when actually ON the bridge, so all bets are completely off until I'm free an clear of that living entity.

I decided to pitch all other stops and errands I had planned in town that day. Just get the food for Pop and get back home. No need to dodge the traffic backups trying to cross the highway back and forth between businesses, no, not for me.

Pop is getting a new car this weekend. A nice, comfortable, fuel efficient, modern car. And, most likely I'll be giving him a little gift of an emergency kit in that car... one with a hammer to peck us out in the event we find ourselves free falling off the 7 Mile Bridge. Pretty soon, instead of reminding Pop to buckle up when we depart his house, I'll be strapping on a life vest for each journey as well.

Pop definitely didn't know what he was getting himself into when he asked me to do this driving for him. I'm glad at least one of us finds my issues somewhat amusing.


No comments:

Post a Comment