Recent_Comments

Sunday, December 9, 2012

Yup, More Favorite Things

So much is happening in the Keys this time of year.  It's like we go from a sleepy little village one day to overnight an explosion of holiday activities, people coming back for season, parades, shows and etc.

Yesterday was the annual holiday arts & crafts show at Out of the Blue Gallery on Big Pine Key. The weather didn't cooperate for part of the day, most unfortunate.  Some vendors had to leave, their wares just couldn't handle the bouts of rain.  But, the rain DID stop, and the sun DID shine. There ended up begin a pretty good turnout for the event after all. I was there for a good portion of the day volunteering at the Got Your Bags - Florida Keys booth.  This is a program whereby we encourage people to voluntarily use less plastic. How do we do this?  Well, first is education and consciousness raising.  Often times, the simple suggestion of something is all a person needs to begin the serious thought process on an issue.  Such is the way with plastic bags.  The second thing our program is doing is asking people to take a simple pledge to use less plastic.  In exchange, we give away a free reusable shopping bag.  This is fabulous, it really is. While many people seem to have the reusables already, I've been very surprised to hear how many people say they don't even have one yet.  So, this is an important step.  Another great thing GYB is doing is giving away a free window cling that says "Got Your Bags?"  It's not a sticker.  It's a cling.  It peels off and on without damaging anything.  So, you can put this little cling onto a car window or any place at home near your door to remind you to take your bags when you go out.  Lots of us have our bags, but forget to bring them. The nifty cling is a great tool to help us build a new habit of bringing our own bags whenever we go somewhere.

So, what is this coming to about favorite things?  Twofold actually.

One of my favorite things is our planet.  I'm not joking here, and this is not sarcastic.  I love this planet. I love the oceans, the life it supports, the air among us, and the beauty that has been bestowed upon us. I want to do what I feel is important to help this planet be healthy enough for a very long time to be sustainable for future generations of all life, including people, animals, and plants.  I do believe that reducing our usage of plastic is crucial. I am willing to make sacrifices for this.

Yes, Earth is one of my favorite things.

So, you may be wondering, what is the "two-fold" part of this post? Ok, after my shift at the booth, I went inside to browse the wonderful Out of the Blue Gallery.  My travels in the store took me to their consignment room.  What should my wondering eyes fall upon? A lady pirate costume in the half price closet; not only was the costume there, but it was half price!  I grabbed it, opened it up and inside was all the necessary ingredients to be piratey... the dress, the booties, the eye patch, bandanna and belt.

Luciana Luna Bean is a fan of the new pirate garb.

Here in the Keys you never know when you'll have to dress like a pirate. This was the equivalent of finding a pair of faerie wings, it was THAT huge.

I now have a lady pirate costume.  I am ready for any "dress like a pirate" occasion at a moment's notice. You may scoff at that, but here in the Keys, any day can turn into "dress like a pirate" day.  You better be ready when it happens!

Indeed, it is a favorite thing of mine is when the Universe brings me to the right place, at the right time, for just the right thing to ice the cake of my day.

More favorite things to come, including Christmas in the Keys, Solstice, Yule and more!!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment