Recent_Comments

Friday, June 28, 2013

A Little of This, A Little of That

Admittedly I'm in a funk. It came upon quite suddenly. I've had distractions around to help me out for a while.... besties from the cold zone came down to visit me. I had back to back visits with friends I never see enough of. The time went so fast. As usual we had loose plans to "do this" or "do that" but also as usual never make too many plans, because the Universe has in store for us whatever it has in store. Regardless, the visits were great. But, now they're over, and I'm back to my funk.

Today I went and got a hair cut and color. Lopped off a good amount of the stuff that is typically covered in a hat anyway since I don't like hair nets, and I must keep my hair covered while cooking & baking. Also, I had purple added to my hair. I used to do all sorts of freaky things to my hair before I lived here. I think that came from my mom, she began "perming" my hair as a pre-teen (hey, it was the 70s, what can I say) and I began to try and find ways to change my looks. I became somewhat of a conformist in high school hair-wise, but afterwards, not at all. When I used to go to the salon up north, I'd always start the session with "let's try something different" which can be music to a stylists ears... something fun. I've had green hair, red hair, black hair, blue hair, purple hair, brown and blond hair. I've had long hair, short hair, curly hair and straight hair. I thought about shaving part of it off when I saw how great Rhianna looked not too long ago, but then I slapped myself back to reality since the rest of me does NOT look Rhianna. Down here, people don't seem to do those fun things with their hair. I guess it's because those of us who live here are too busy working to be bothered with hair issues, and if we're not working, we'll be out on the water, or a beach somewhere, where it just doesn't make sense to worry about hair. I kicked my funk to the curb for a little while today with my purple haze hair.  But, I'm feeling the "icks" creep back slowly but surely.

This funk came on suddenly. What can I say. Sometimes when you least expect it, "expect it." I don't know what the "it" is, if I did, I'd be better able to brace myself. But, I got thrown for a loop recently, and I'm in a quandary about how I will handle it.  Don't panic, nothing life threatening is going on. I'm sure things will all work out somehow. Usually I'd deal with a funk by running, but I was so busy with visiting friends, the running was not a priority. When someone you haven't socialized with in essentially 13 years comes to town, running is not a priority (for me at least). And, now today's hair has resulted in a "suggestion" that I not wash it for a day, so again the running is off the menu. I'm working through some angst with a little extra time in the kitchen, and a little time spent with the cats.

Speaking of cats, let me take a moment here to say how great Peri is doing. He's remarkable in his perfection. In fact, as I write this, he is about 2 feet away from me, sleeping on my pink office chair. He has claimed everything in my home as his own, and this has brought quite a period of adjustment to my own furry family. Peri has put the weight on so basically he's just as he was before the walkabout that almost ended his life, and his medication must have fairy dust inside because it truly is magic for him.  This makes me happy.

On the turtle front, let me tell you that although I don't know if the numbers are higher or lower than other years, we are having nests. Mostly I pick up trash though, which is ok, because that's a very important part of the job... making sure the sea turtles have a safe habitat to nest, and that the habitat is clear so the hatchlings can make it to sea when ready (no hatches yet... too early). And, something REALLY cool I was involved with was relocating a sea turtle nest. I will not be publishing photos, or any details about the location due to concerns I have whether this would be allowed with the FWC people, as well as the fact I don't want to disclose the location of a nest which was already jeopardized by a risky location. Basically what happened is a mother turtle laid her eggs VERY low on a dune... VERY close to the water line. The nest would have been inundated by sea water due to tide changes. So, the person in charge of sea turtles in the Keys took care of the necessary behind the scenes administrative work and the nest was evaluated for relocation. The "experts" decided it was indeed in danger of being lost, so it was decided to relocate. As a certified wildlife paraprofessional holding proper permits to do this, the other happy vegan, myself, the FWC representative, and the beach walker who actually found this nest did the relocation. It took about 1.5 hours. The first thing we did was locate a nearby safer spot for the nest, and dig a new hole. We were encouraged to actually do this pretending to be a turtle.... kind of flinging the sand, and scooping the hole as if we had flippers. We are NOT allowed to bring shovels, or any type of equipment to do this job (well, ok, we brought garbage bags to clean the beach in the area, that has nothing to do with the nest, tee hee). Once the new habitat was ready, we set about to locate the nest. Then, slowly and ever so carefully, we moved the sand gently away. When we get to the eggs, as delicately as you can imagine, and with just one finger, we swept the sand away from each egg, and placed them, one by one, in order, into what the FWC turtle person brought. The eggs can not be tilted, the eggs must be kept in order, and the eggs can not be jostled at all. This nest brought forth 139 eggs (HUGE NEST!) and 7 that were damaged by the mother during nesting (the FWC representative told us that is not uncommon, as the mother puts all her weight on that nest after the eggs are covered, and really packs down the sand). So, under the watchful eye of the authorities, we moved this nest. It's quite interesting (to say the least) to have done this, and we are all holding our breath with fingers crossed for a healthy hatch. Certainly if nothing had been done, the entire nest would have been lost. As of now, there is no reason why this nest should not hatch on time. I would like to post pictures, but as I said, I don't want to jeopardize anything with authorities in case we ever come face to face with a need to do something like this again.  I will, however, of course post pictures of nest area after it hatches, and let you know how the shell count goes after the hatch.

For now, I'm heading back into the kitchen with my purple haze hair. Maybe tomorrow I can make time for a run, and clear my purple head. I'm looking forward to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment