Recent_Comments

Thursday, August 30, 2012

Big Weekend on Tap!

I blink and missed it.... summer.  It's gone.  Labor Day weekend is upon us.  In years past, Labor Day weekend was one which I dreaded. Bidding farewell to friends from down the shore til the next year.  I never understood why people closed their summer houses so early and I was forced to endure the sights and smells of autumn... pumpkins, mums and foliage. I wouldn't have minded the fall foliage so much on its own, but I knew that just behind it lurked the cold and dark winter. September and October are truly glorious at the shore, and the water is especially warm in September up there. Why do people leave there so early? I was known to pull the drapes on my tiny summer home and barely venture out once the sun went down on Labor Day.  I couldn't bear the end of summer.  Now I don't have to, for every day is summer here in the Keys.  It's no small coincidence I live here now, my emotional state has flourished since becoming a full time resident.  Sunshine, palm trees, ocean.  The magic elixirs, trust me.

Labor Day weekend is upon us.  We're working all weekend, but that matters not.  We've got plans.  Social plans.  Fun plans.  Charitable plans.  All good stuff, trust me.  Here's a little roundup I'd like to share.

Before Isaac blew through, our local animal rescue and shelter (called Safe Harbor Animal Rescue of the Keys or S.HA.R.K. for short) rescued an adult male pug who had been abandoned on Big Pine.  Bad enough the dog was a throwaway, but the dog is also paralyzed in his back legs.  He's been named "Gus" and there's been a lot of publicity going to Gus the wonderpug.   Funds are being raised to purchase a wheelchair which will obviously aid in his mobility, and also will likely assist with his incontinence issues.  All weekend long the Looe Key Tiki Bar on Ramrod is hosting fundraising efforts for Gus as well as the other S.H.A.R.K. animals in need.  But, tomorrow night there's an event where Gus will make a personal appearance.  We're in!  Yup, we're going to see Gus, and actually plan to drop of an adoption application that a friend of ours from Illinois will be filling out to become a candidate to adopt Gus.  I promise to write more about that if things work out for that adoption, but don't want to jinx things right now.

Then, on Saturday we're actually heading out to Boondock's, also on Ramrod, to join the fun as Xperimento! comes to town.  World dance fusion music is my classification for this great band out of Miami.  A real treat for them to be so close by, as typically when they're in the Keys you'd have to travel to Key West for the fun.  So, I'll be digging out some comfy dance shoes and maybe even a tiara as we head out for some dancing under the stars.

Lastly, a great documentary opens tomorrow at the Tropic in Key West titled "Last Call at the Oasis."  This film is about the global water crisis.  The other happy vegan has chosen the last few movies we've traveled to Tropic to see, last one being Spiderman in 3-D (complete waste of 2 hours of my life by the way, save for the great popcorn and beverages from the snack bar).  Somehow he always enjoys the films I select much more than those I get dragged to see (notice I refer to his as movies, mine as films).  So, if we are able to make the early show, we plan to have lunch at Sugar Apple for, of course those fabulous tempeh reubens.  If we make the late show, we'll probably end up at The Cafe, which is another of those "you just can't go wrong here" kind of places.

Labor Day weekend is here.  Instead of drawing the drapes and pulling up the sheets, I'm deciding on outfits for the festivities, and planning the delicious vegan food stops.  I feel for anyone facing down Labor Day weekend as the end of the summer.  I can tell you the cure all for that nonsense absolutely is trip to the Keys.  As I said above, we've got the magic elixirs and sure do like to share.


No comments:

Post a Comment