Recent_Comments

Monday, December 13, 2010

Christmastime in the Keys

Some time over the summer, I had a guest here who was asking about Christmas in the Keys. He shared his thoughts that he figured it was like it "didn't even happen" down here, meaning no trees, no lights, nothing. I asked him what made him make such an assumption, and he replied something along the lines that it just didn't seem like a "Christmasy" kind of place. I grew up in a traditional household, celebrating Christmas. Over the years my belief system has been molded into something semi-unconventional. It's been a long progression, but even in my present state of mind, I still enjoy the theme of "good will" towards one another and do find some parts of the Christmas season soothing.

I explained to our inquiring guest that Christmas in the Keys is a lot like other places. People put up trees and decorate them, homes and businesses are dressed up, Christmas parties abound, street lights have seasonally themed decorations on them (including boats & dolphins), and Santa even makes the rounds. Here at Deer Run, Mr. Happy Vegan walks into the Atlantic Ocean with our eco-friendly lights, and strings them all over the mangrove in front of our inn.

What I also told our inquiring guest is that that I think people say "Merry Christmas" more than "Happy Holidays" (PS: please do not send me any email defending, or arguing, the specifics of "happy holidays." I'm not offended by that phrase as some people seem to be, instead I take it for what it is; a pleasant greeting and a way to wish people of all denominations peace during the season). I think folks down here make their own fun. For example, I don't think most people would expect to see Salvation Army bell ringers dressed up in full pirate & wench garb, and I don't think I'd see a pine tree that grows out of a dilapidated, closed, concrete bridge covered in solar Christmas lights in the middle of the ocean (refer to yesterday's post).

Folks down here do tend to put a tropical flair on things quite often, and also I find there's Christmas music I can finally tolerate in the form of steel drums and island singers.

I've shopped for gifts all through the Keys, and still find that the "thrill of the hunt" for the perfect gift is just about as perfect as that perfect gift. Down here, shops are all dressed in holiday finery, businesses have lights and neat things on them, there's lighted inn tours, craft bazaars, art shows, and even lighted boat parades. There are more charity food & children's toy drives down here than you can even imagine too. While so many parts of our country chill to the bone in a deep freeze, here most days we can shop in our flip flops & t-shirts, all while listening to tropical Christmas music. Its really kind of nice.

So, here we are just a couple weeks from Christmas. I'm probably in the minority down here being one who does not celebrate this holiday as a religious one, but I will observe the season, and especially the actual Eve & day as one for reflection and good will towards people, planet and animals. I plan on making Yule cookies for my friends, and also will begin baking & delivering my special holiday biscotti to the health food store tomorrow, for it is imperative that my community has its fill of delicious homemade holiday vegan baked goods.

Last, but so not least, for those of us who have lost someone (or more than one someone) special, the season can be especially difficult, but I find comfort in the safety net of my friends who don't even ask when I need a hug, they just give me one.

Any way you slice it, its all pretty good.

1 comment: