Recent_Comments

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Carpe Diem

I'm a realist. Maybe you wouldn't know that about me, as often times when people see me at work I keep a positive attitude, and look for the good in a situation. Which is not to say I live in a bubble and don't realize that we're all mostly struggling to survive... people, animals, and planet. However, I took it particularly hard when I learned that a friend of the inn is gravely ill and has been transported to the mainland, with a very grim prognosis.

This person is too young for this, and very bright. She is very creative, as well as a gifted and talented artist. She also is beautiful inside and out, with a very kind heart. Any time I've seen her, whether it be here or somewhere else, she had a smile which belied an impossible truth. We've all got our demons, problems, challenges or whatever to overcome, don't we? Its how we choose to overcome them, or not overcome them, that often times defines us and our futures.

To an extent, I identify with our friend. I have had my own struggles. There were times when I couldn't see any future at all for myself. I have chosen to never forget those days or those feelings, because it helps me empathize with people who aren't happy in the moment. If I think of myself during those hard times, I never would've imagined I'd be where I am today. Thank goodness in spite of that, I'm still here, and wow, look how things have turned out!

So, this situation with our friend has hit me very hard. She is surrounded by people who love her, and I hope she finds comfort in that. I sat on my beach for hours yesterday and today working on art projects I'm preparing for an upcoming show in Key West. My mind drifted here and there, but never very far from our friend. I wonder if she can feel the healing energy that so many people are sending to her. I hope she is comfortable. I want our friend to be free from pain. I am so truly blessed to live where I do, and be healed every day with the beauty of nature. This place truly is balm for my soul. This paradise, the healing of it all, well it's not enough for some people. I got a reminder that we're all struggling with something every day, whether its in paradise, or elsewhere.

Another not so gentle reminder, nothing is guaranteed, so Carpe Diem baby. Carpe Diem.

No comments:

Post a Comment