Recent_Comments

Thursday, April 8, 2010

What I Found on the Street Today

It is interesting living here. There is life everywhere. Now, granted there is life everywhere else too, maybe I just didn't notice it as much as I do here. But, I think I really have a valid argument that there IS more stuff constantly moving around here than other places.

Today while on the street, life I encountered of the non-human variety included a snake, multiple Key deer, a box turtle, iguanas, 2 dogs, a few anoles, too many birds to count (but osprey, egrets, woodpeckers, and doves I know for sure!), dragonflies, butterflies, stuff in the scrub I could hear but not see, and, of course, Peri. That's a lot of "stuff."

I admit I am not a nature girl. I would be the first person out of the woods screaming "SNAKE" at the top of my lungs, or screaming "a beeeeeeeeeeeeeee!" as I ran across the yard arms flailing and doing ridiculous movements. But being here for a while now, I am finding a way to live with the life that is all around me and not be afraid, but rather in awe.

I moved here in the summer time. The height of "things that constantly move" in the Keys. It was quite a period of adjustment. More like me constantly freaking out. I swear there is some weird stuff down here. Tell me, have YOU ever seen a foot long centipede?? Seriously, those things can devour a gecko. First one of them I saw I about packed my bags and went back to where I "belonged" which was anywhere but here with foot long centipedes.

Well, back to today. Instead of freak outs of past days, today I was really looking at the life around me with true appreciation and wonder. I have a lot more questions about all the nature down here than I'll ever have answers for, but what I found on the street today was peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment