Recent_Comments

Monday, December 20, 2010

Winter Solstice

When I woke up this morning, there was no dilly-dallying. It was a mad dash right into the kitchen; bad hair stuffed under a baseball cap. Pans, pots & spatulas were flying everywhere. Mr. Happy Vegan and I kept bumping into each other, we were both harried, flustered, and had so many extra chores to do being its holiday time. He said to me at one point "we're both rushing, we're going to make mistakes." He was right, but I wouldn't realize it until some 10 hours later.

Today absolutely went by in a blur. There was breakfast to be cooked, baked & served, dishes to do, menus to plan, cookies to bake, cakes to mix, laundry on tap, letters to write, bills to pay, phone calls to make, animals to care for, marketing to do, and errands for Pop. Through it all I would not lose sight that boot camp was mandatory tonight. Mr. Happy Vegan said he'd do the marketing for me so I wouldn't miss class. He sure can be thoughtful, that one chore taken from me made a huge difference.

So, I made a quadruple batch of biscotti, figuring I'd slice & re bake when I got back from the gym. Just minutes before dashing out to the gym, on a whim I decided to make one last cookie recipe, something from my past but one I haven't made lately. Here comes the mistake...I mismeasured one liquid ingredient... by 4 times as much. Even as I poured the ingredients towards the Kitchen Aid, I though "hmm, that doesn't look right" but didn't check anything. As soon as the batter swirled, I knew what I had done. I couldn't face the consequences, so I left the batter smack dab on the counter, and left for class.

When I returned, I had 2 choices... dump the batter, or fix it. Fixing it meant making a quadruple batch. That's 8 loaves of bar cookies to be mixed, baked & sliced. I opted for #2, not wanting to feed the wormies my organic & fair trade ingredients.

As the 8 loaves of cookies chilled, and 150 biscotti baked, I finalized my Yule log plans. Yes folks, the cake is in the pan, next up for baking. I'm so excited. My very first vegan Yule log. Winter Solstice is tomorrow, 12/21. This is a big deal for me, a really big deal. The only other day of the year that gets me this jazzed is the 1st day of summer, which I've written about already. Winter Solstice is a time for celebrating; a time to honor the faith that the seemingly forever darkness will cease, and yes, light will return. Then, the days finally become longer.... bringing us that much closer to summer. I'm celebrating Solstice.

When I got home from the gym tonight, Mr. Happy Vegan surprised me with a gift; a Yule tree. Secretly he'd been collecting objects off the beach for a few days. When I left for class, he decorated the tree. Shells, sponges, leaves & so forth. There's big sea sponges that washed in which he painted to look like living coral, and arranged all across the bottom. He painted the names of all our animals on sea grape leaves, and right now they're drying on the dining room table. This is my holiday, not his, yet he did this for me. I honestly think this is one of the sweetest things he's done in ages, and he'll probably be like "why did you write about that on the blog?!" because men are like that, aren't they? Embarrassed by non-embarrassing things. I'll just tell him I wrote it because its sweet, romantic, and I love him for that.

So, with all this happening, we've also got an eclipse and a blood red moon to watch. Yup, we'll be up to see this. Actually, I'll probably just stay up working in the kitchen until its time to go outside and watch. Its crystal clear right now and the air is crisp. I'm baking, cooking, cleaning, and working, all night tonight. Crunch time. Its here. In a big way. I hope you remember that in your own crunch time, make time to celebrate. Celebrate the day, the hour, the moment. Cherish it. If we don't, the moments slip away, forever gone. Seize the day baby, and relish the night. See you soon; dancing under the blood red moon.

1 comment: