Recent_Comments

Sunday, December 19, 2010

Mmm.... Cookies.

It is time for a baking intervention. Again. Here I sit, coming up on mid-afternoon, and I'm only just now taking a (brief) break from the kitchen to check emails and do this post. I've got the fever; baking fever that is.

Since cleaning up the breakfast dishes, I've made a quadruple batch of chocolate chip cookies, another batch of yesterday's peppermint whoopee pies (candy cane cookies), a double batch of chocolate biscotti, and cupcakes. My house smells like a chocolate factory, and that's ok by me.

This fondness I have for baking won't go away. As the years pass, it seems to actually get more intense. With the holiday season in full swing, everyone wants homemade treats, but many folks don't have the time to make them. So, people call me and ask me to do it for them. In a way its like getting paid to play.

I've got the biscotti cooling on racks, and I'm going to get outside asap for a run. I ditched the running for the past 2 days. Because the sun sets much earlier this time of year, if I don't make my run an early priority, it falls by the wayside. Happily we're just days away from Winter Solstice where we will once again see the days begin to grow longer.

Speaking of Winter Solstice, I have decided to make a cakealicious vegan Yule log. I've gone on line and combed through as many recipes as I could find, vegan and non-vegan. I studied and compared them. I think I've chosen the one I'm going to work with, there will of course be modifications needed, but this is a "one shot" deal. There's a fair amount of labor involved, and I'm not about to do this twice. So, it will be what it is (mostly likely a crumbled up stack of chocolate cake & fillings), but I've got a few more days to think this through. For now, I've got 2 more cookie recipes to make (at least triple batches of course!) and a few miles to run on the road. I better go, the winds are picking up and the temperature is dropping (oh no!)

Keep your fingers crossed for the Yule log (and a not too distant baking intervention...)

No comments:

Post a Comment