Recent_Comments

Sunday, October 24, 2010

A Metaphor for Life

As I wrote in my last post, its Fantasy Fest time of year around these parts. Lots of stuff going on, extremely fun, carefree, let your hair down kind of time. Goombay kicked off the festivities. We did our part by going to a charity fundraiser costume party which turned out to be a ton of fun. Of course we got home later than planned, yikes.

Despite rolling in far too late than I should have, I woke up in OK shape this morning, and things went pretty well for a large part of the day. I was exceptionally busy, and didn't really get a good break going until late afternoon. Despite all this, my mood was great. Then, "it" happened. Something on top of my personal list for things to throw this happy vegan innkeeper off kilter, and my mood plummeted. I was angry, upset, and focusing on negative. I didn't wallow too long... my mood wasn't improving, and I knew I had to kick that negative energy away and FAST. So, of course I put on my running shoes, and off I went. The iPod blasting, and my pace quicker than I should've to start... all symptoms of my immediate need for anger management. At about my 1 mile mark, I could not help but notice a specific bird over the Coupon Bight. I do not know what kind of bird it was, but it was kind of big which is mostly why I noticed him. I began watching him as I was running. The wind was really gusty. I began to realize that this bird would catch the air on the breezes to coast, then when the gust stopped he'd flap his wings really hard to go higher or lower searching for the next moment to catch a gust so he could coast. I began to see this bird as a messenger, and a metaphor for life.

We can catch the breezes (the good times) while they're here, but when the wind dies down (the static in our lives, perhaps I'll call it?) we have to buckle down, focus and SEARCH for what we need to get to the next breeze (good time). This bird didn't complain about there not being a breeze when seconds before there was... he just did what he had to do to survive and FIND it. What I think I was watching was this bird experiencing the joy & thrill of the breezes, when he could coast, catch the wind, and just fly, dive and twirl because he CAN. He seemed to be PLAYING in the sky, loving and fixated on the wonderful moments, not on the negative moments.

When I lost sight of the bird, I had new information in my head to use and change my attitude. I decided I would not allow thoughtless and arrogant actions rob my life of any more time than had already occurred. I slowed my pace, stopped at all my strength training stations, and allowed myself the gift of that time on the street.

Its really interesting to me. When I stop and look around, there's constantly something new to learn right in my own backyard, and its almost always found, for me, in nature.

I'm all fixed up now! Can't wait til tomorrow!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment