Recent_Comments

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

A Good Doctor

Marathon Veterinary Hospital. Those words are music to my ears.

Aggie had an emergency today. Shortly after 10am, my other half noticed a lump on her flank. Together we attempted to inspect it. She wouldn't let us. She was in pain. It looked like an abscess.

Within seconds I'm on the phone with our vet, Marathon Veterinary Hospital. I'm panicked. I am afraid the abscess will rupture. I'm told they are absolutely full, and the earliest I can get in is 5pm. No, I'm almost crying, something is horribly wrong, its urgent, "PLEASE HELP HER!" I'm put on hold, within 1 minute, I'm being told come in. I can drop her off, and they will see her in between appointments earlier than 5pm.

Today is a "Pop Day" I'm taking him to the Club... its in Marathon 10 minutes south of MVH. Aggie is being tenderly placed in a carrier, as I'm searching for some catnip to keep her calmer on the ride. Aggie and I rush off to Pop's, get situated, and then we're off to Marathon in less than 5 minutes. After dropping Pop off, I'm on the way to the vet. I arrive just about 1 hour from when I first called. I am greeted by several caring, concerned faces who work there, and told "Dr. Gerri will see Aggie in between patients." I'm also told to stick around Marathon, not to venture far. I say "I'd rather just wait right here, I'm in no rush, I will stay all day if necessary." With that, Dr. Gerri comes out to help another patient, sees me and says "stay, don't leave, I will see Aggie very soon."

In less than 5 minutes, Aggie is being triaged, and within 10 more minutes, Dr. Gerri is in the room with us. She examines her and explains to me exactly what her suspicions are. She says "she should get some blood work," and further explains why. She takes the time to make sure I am aware and understand. I agree to the testing. Aggie goes off to the next room for a blood draw.

I'm so happy, Aggie is back. Yes, she does have an abscess, and they are also testing the blood right now for something else too. Dr. Gerri explains everything to me again, and spends more time with Aggie.

Aggie will be fine. She has 2 ailments, and the need for medication. I am instructed carefully on the medication, and to follow up in 1 month, sooner if there's an emergency. This is about 1.5 hours time. Dr. Gerri probably will skip lunch today, work late tonight, or both.

Maybe you ask "why is this today's story?" Well, several reasons. First, to say once again I have been blessed to have extra-ordinary veterinarians caring for my companion animals. I've almost never run into a veterinarian who wasn't top notch in ability and attitude for my animals. I've only switched vets once because of such a situation, yet had animals my entire life. Vets are a cut above as far as I'm concerned. They are by far some of the kindest, most compassionate, people I've ever met. Conversely, driving home I was struck with the thought that most people do not have medical care on this level. I honestly can state that I do not.

About 1 month ago I was sick. Sicker than I can remember being in years. I finally broke down and admitted I needed a doctor. I called my doctor of choice. "The doctor can see you in 2 weeks." TWO WEEKS. Seriously. I call a local medi-center. I'm told I can have an appointment the next day, I grab it. As instructed, I arrive 15 minutes early to fill out paperwork. The waiting room is standing room only, it is that overloaded. After waiting, standing room only, over 1 hour past the appointment time, I am finally seen by a nurse practitioner. The time devoted to my illness by the NP is approximately 6 minutes. I'm given a diagnosis, 2 prescriptions, and shuttled to the payment window. Are you surprised they don't take my insurance? Its par for the course. My wallet is emptied, and I'm cast aside without a second thought, no follow up orders, nothing.

No matter the state of human health care, at least the state of veterinary care is where it should be. Marathon Veterinary Hospital, I thank you. Through the years here you have provided the best veterinary care imaginable, with tender loving care. The good doctors and staff at MVC also take the time to volunteer with local charities, both for people and animals. Leading by example.

I wish I could say the same for our own health care.

1 comment:

  1. Many pet lovers now a days are planning for pet insurance which shows their care towards their pets. There are many advantages of pet insurance, top reasons to go in for pet insurance are Bears the cost of medical expenses, Insuring multiple pets and many more.

    ReplyDelete