Recent_Comments

Friday, April 9, 2010

Blue Angels

This is a big weekend for us in the Keys. NAS Key West is hosting the Blue Angels for a weekend air show. So many of us are excited about this, you can almost feel the electricity in the air. Everyone is talking about the event all through the Keys. Just about mid-morning yesterday and today, I was treated to several glorious sonic booms, the house even shook a little. I knew the Angels were up in the air practicing their timing. I heard an interview on the local radio this week with one of the pilots. He said they do not rely on GPS or anything, essentially this is all done by visual. I wonder, what must it be like to be the best of the best? If I'm not too nervous, I may even ask an Angel that question.

I remember when I was about 6 years old, my dad took my big brother to see the Blue Angels somewhere in Pennsylvania. There is a picture of my brother at that show, one which I conjure up often when I think of him. He's on the tarmac, an airplane behind him with a HUGE smile on his face. Sheer joy.

The Angels are good will ambassadors. They also enhance Navy recruiting. Probably, like many other youths, my big brother had some dreams inspired by those Angels. I know for sure he cultivated a life long passion for flying (albeit a far too short life for my liking).

The Angels are heroes to many. I do not have many heroes these days, but I sure do include myself on the list of admirers. They are the kind of people I can look up to; willing to lay their lives on the line for our country, with generosity in their hearts. Serving with pride, dedication, and commitment for the United States of America. These are who we should be looking up to, not some half-baked sports figure or celebrity.

I've never gotten to see the Angels. I know there are people out there who will not be completely happy about their appearance down here, they may even have legitimate complaints somewhere in the mix. Don't bring them to me though! We're getting up super early, and making the trip down to the Navy base. I'm packing my camera, flip flops, sunscreen, some snacks (um, vegan food doesn't look to be overly abundant at the show, too bad) and getting there before the doors open. We're not leaving til the fat lady sings.

No comments:

Post a Comment