Recent_Comments

Saturday, September 7, 2019

VeganMoFo 2019 Day 32 (or 31a) ... Cake: The PS

"Love is spending the rest of your life with someone
you want to kill....

but you don't, because you'd miss them."

I simply cannot help myself, I need to share this cake. It was the best cake of 31 cakes in 31 days, falling slightly outside the parameters of the time, but close enough to the month of cakes... can we call this one #32 perhaps? Maybe 31a?

The other happy vegan saw to it that I would have a birthday cake that I didn't have to make myself. Not that I was planning on making a cake for myself, perhaps he just wanted a chocolate cake and knew that it's going to be a long time before I'm inspired to cake again after the past month. Waking up at 4:30am (according to him, I have no idea, I'm still with the foster kitties in the pet room most of the time) he found himself in hostile territory in the kitchen. The man that raised our business from the ashes post Irma... built innumerable homes... can go toe-to-toe with most engineers on even their best day... is an incredible mechanic, and so much more....  he took on the ultimate challenge, taking his restless soul into the hostile territory known as MY kitchen. Rummaging around for egg replacers and other items that don't require a hammer or power tool in pre-dawn hours, the poor guy was lost. He explained he wanted to make me a gluten free cake, so he bought a boxed cake and set out to veganize it. In solidarity for him, all I will say about that effort is that at some point I did accidentally witness that aftermath in the compost. Impressive even by my epic failure standards. After that first effort went down in flames, he explained that he next ventured into the REALLY hostile territory of my cookbook collection. I can only imagine what went on as he went through book after book as I was busy doing my best sleeping in the (by then) morning hours. He tells me he settled on a Chef Chloe recipe and got to work on a from scratch cake. If you catch sight of him anytime soon, and you have about an hour or so to hear the story, you can ask him about the making of the cake(s). I call this one the "Taj MahCake" indeed the cake gift truly is "the journey," not "the destination." He really scored a lot of brownie points on this one folks, I mean after all these years he sometimes still continues to surprise me in very sweet ways; I must admit I was quite taken when I saw this. I bought the Hello Kitty pan many years ago because I always wanted a Hello Kitty cake, never used it. Ironically she made it through Irma, only to continue to remain unused. I said to him that night "well, she got used at least once!" and he immediately corrected me saying "twice, you forgot my compost walk." Yes, yes I did forget. The pan has officially been used twice.

I knew I saved some of Gretchen's minty frosting for a reason, who knew it would be for a Hello Kitty cake with strawberry eyes and nose. That night we lit her crazy whisker candles up, I made my wish. I cut the cake, served her with a side of NadaMoo and thus ends cake #32 in my very complete quest for a month of cakes.

I always look for the postscript at the end of every story. Now you have mine, vegan style of course.

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment