Recent_Comments

Saturday, July 27, 2013

A Girl and Her Dough

The "girl" = me. The "dough" is not the spendy variety, nope. It's the floury, toasty, sometimes flaky variety. Me and my dough are going to break up for a while. I think the dough is going to handle it much better than me.

Eh, what can I say, I've started an elimination diet. I get a little crazy from time to time with food issues. Life for me revolves so much around food. I sort of like cooking (LIE! but I think I shouldn't admit I don't like to cook, considering my occupation), and I like to bake (LIE! I LOVE to bake!!!) I do lots of research & development for new recipes, and tasting is part of it. Even 1 bite of anything adds up when you do the same recipe more than 6x time to get it right. Anyway, sugar is a constant nemesis. I figured it's time to reign things in again, it's been about a year since I stumbled off that wagon. So, I'm coming up on my 1 week anniversary of virtually no sugar to speak of. I don't include fruit in that, not at all. So, my beloved peaches are still on my personal "approved" list, but perhaps maybe not 4 a day anymore. As I write, I've got 2 loaves of Cole's mango bread in the freezer, 2 boxes of Ezekiel sprouted English muffins on ice, bags of cookies I've baked frozen in time, recipes for chocolate peanut butter pie, chocolate peanut butter pancakes (sensing a theme?), and tiramisu on hold. I've even got the ingredients for all of those recipes ready to go, no easy feat on the tiramisu because that new recipe requires vegan English biscuits. So, the biscuits are in the pantry waiting for me too. That's a lot of sugar in a very small space, with a girl who is um, maybe a little cranky the last week or so of doing without.

Dough is the next to go, and that's coming soon. Although it seems like pretty much it's already gone anyway. I haven't had a morsel of anything baked, a speck of pasta, nor a wrap, nary even a slice of toast. Gluten free baking is big around here, but that's off for now because my self-imposed exile in sugar land. And, probably last to go will be my soy. I have no axe to grind with soy personally, but I like it, and eat it a lot. So, while soy is on "the list" it will not be eliminated, just reduced. And, what will I do when all this is done you might be asking? Well.... I'll of course do a timed distance run and see if there's any improvement. When that's all over, I suppose I'll put out the biscuits, the sugar, the flour and the soy milk, and celebrate with some peanut butter chocolate pancakes, peanut butter chocolate pie, some tiramisu or heck I may really live on the edge, and have a piece of toast.

Dough, my dearest dough. You are loyal and will always wait for me. A girl and her dough are never far apart for too long... thank goodness!


No comments:

Post a Comment