Recent_Comments

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Stream of Consciousness Musings - Whatever Conscious Is

So much has been going on, I have missed writing about it. I simply cannot keep up with everything all the time, I've had to admit this truth. I'm optimistic about a little more "free" time in the upcoming weeks/months as typically in the Keys, summer months move slower. Notice I said "in the Keys" not "at Deer Run." For now, things are still moving pretty quickly around here, although there has been a definite shift around me as high season winds down. I've noticed it while driving, and in stores. Just not as many people around.  Despite this fact, I'm over scheduled in my own little world.  I hope this will be a bit of a synopsis of what's been going on over the last few weeks.

Peri. Sweet Peri. He is doing so well. I am overjoyed. I don't see him everyday, but I do see him most days, even if briefly to give him a kiss and a word of encouragement. In return, he fills my heart with calm and joy. We've been lucky enough to have a few slumber parties with Peri. When this happens, things are turned upside down behind the scenes simply because my own felines have their own idiosyncrasies. My companion animals barely get along with each other, let alone trying to get along with Peri, the self-proclaimed Mayor of Deer Run. My sleeping arrangements are compromised when Peri arrives for an overnight visit, but it's a small price to pay. Not only does where I sleep get altered, but how I sleep. Or should I say do I sleep at all. Barely. Peri is such an adaptable soul. He is very happy to be here, and simply sniffs around to get the lay of the land, and then settles in where ever the other happy vegan or I may be. He is a great sleeper, but he takes up a lot of space, he likes to be l-o-n-g while sleeping. And, then there's my own issues while he's here. I just do not like to sleep while Peri is here, it may sound ridiculous, but I don't want to miss any moments with him. Peri's people have worked out what seems to be a very good combination of medications that really help Peri at this point. He is more than a slice of his old self, he's really back in almost full effect. He continues to get well wishes from around the world too. It's amazing how much unity this one little grey fuzzy kitty creates.

Weather. We have cleaned up 95% from the tornado. The 5% remaining probably cannot even be noticed by the untrained eye. We've replaced the kayaks that were destroyed, the damage to our inn has been repaired, and even the leaves on the trees are beginning to grow back in. If you drive up and down my street, you will still see, from time to time, massive tree stumps out by the road waiting for grinding and removal, massive piles of yard debris, and piles of damaged goods. Here, our 100% recycled heavy duty beach and patio furniture stood the test of the storm. Our Adirondack chairs and tables are made by a company in Pennsylvania of 100% post consumer content recycled plastic. They weigh a ton and are a pain to move around. I knew this when we saw this product at a showroom up north, and fell in love with the styles and colors. And, both of us knew this was EXACTLY what we need here in a storm prone area such as the Keys. Although our chairs were actually picked up and did move about in the storm, none were damaged. That is a testimonial that I think I may have to write to the company about. We hope that anyone that has to replace anything damaged in the storm will think long and hard before purchasing inferior cheap goods.

Industrial Disaster. Since my last post there was a deadly explosion at a fertilizer plant in Texas, as well as a deadly building collapse at a factory in India. As far as the Texas explosion goes, this is not a matter of fair trade, but seems to me indeed a matter of cutting corners at the expense of worker safety. Unacceptable. I can only hope those who perished did not do so in vain, and that those responsible, if corners were cut, are brought to true justice. And, as far as the massive deaths and injuries suffered by so many in the latest disaster in India, this truly underscores once again why we support fair trade. Here, if I can get something marked fair trade, I will. And, when it comes to clothing, pretty much at this point, the other happy vegan and myself completely avoid massive stores like Target, Wal-Mart and K-Mart with goods manufactured from slave labor or child labor. We go the thrift shop/vintage route for the vast majority of our hard goods, and seek out Made in the USA labels. And, when it comes to food, I would never buy things like vanilla, chocolate, coffee, tea, sugars, spices and other items, UNLESS they are fairly traded. Hershey's chocolate, for example, has a terrible track record of where it sources it's cocoa from. They are major offenders as far as I'm concerned, and responsible for a lot of human suffering in the world. I cannot say it loudly, or often enough that we do support fair trade, and encourage everyone to do the same.

Blue Angels. It's been over a month since we attended the Southernmost Air Spectacular in Key West. The government sequester did impact some of the planes and exhibits for the event, however the Blue Angels were still flying at that point and we were treated to probably the last show before they were grounded. Those days represented my first days off since Christmas. I don't have much sympathy for people that say "I haven't had a day off in 10 days!" Try going for 3, 4 or 5 months without a day off, then we'll talk. We maximized our weekend, did we ever. I still plan on devoting an entire post to the Blue Angels, with photos. I waited and planned 18 months for that weekend, and aside from sunburn, everything was perfect. Since bringing your own food was not allowed, I admit I wondered about not having vegan food since we were going to be there all day, each day. However, imagine my surprise when we arrived and saw a smoothie tent on site with no dairy! The smoothies were full fruit smoothies, and that made me VERY happy. We survived the first day on those full fruit smoothies and giant soft pretzels that, although not the healthiest things to eat, were indeed vegan. The second day we found ourselves in a VIP tent, which all I'm going to say about that was FANTASTIC. Despite being fully prepared, including SPF 50, I did manage to get a Blue Angels tan.... sunburn on the ankles, and tops of the arms. That was the ONLY thing I didn't enjoy about the entire weekend. We even managed to eat dinner at Kaya on that Saturday night, which honestly has to this day still NEVER disappointed me on any level.

Food. I'm still baking and cooking like crazy. I've developed one new recipe, and been working through the massive "need to try" pile of recipes I have stockpiled since moving here. This is a slow and tedious process, but I have made some headway. Progress, no matter how slow, is still progress.

Boston. There is evil in this world, we all know it. Sometimes I have a hard time focusing on the good because it seems there is so much bad. But, coming out of the horrible attack at the Boston Marathon are incredible stories of selflessness, courage and heroism. I am very grateful for people who do good in the world, in the face of such evil. And, it is the truth when I say with every single run I have done since the attack, anytime I think I'm too tired or too hot to move on, I think about the people who's lives have been either been taken in the attack, or so altered by the attack, and I banish my petty complaints and finish. Be strong Boston. The thoughts of many remain with you.

The County. Here we are still in the midst of issues with the County of Monroe regarding waste water and building permits. Shockingly, about 3 weeks ago I thought I saw a glimmer of hope, but since then once again there has been no forward progress, and with them it's still "business as usual" which for us means no permits, and still steamroller treatment from local government. We have options, but they are dwindling, and so we will be able to announce sooner more than later what will be the final outcome.

Turtles. It IS turtle nesting season in the Keys. Although the final report for today is not in (yet), I don't think we've got any nesting activity over last night. So, although we have no nests yet, April typically yields no nests in the Keys, but May sure does. And, checking my calendar, I see today IS May 1 so I expect to have some news for you soon. Really looking forward to turtle nests this year!

I think that's enough for now. Today I have errands to run, 4 miles to pound out, a new recipe to try, and a laundry list of things to do as long as you. Try not to miss me too much, I promise I'll be back sooner than the last gap.


No comments:

Post a Comment