Recent_Comments

Sunday, May 1, 2011

It's May Day!

Today, May 1, is "May Day." Traditionally a celebration of Spring. I got no problem with that baby, no problem at all. However, in our neck of the woods, I must say it feels like Spring has long gone, we're in the middle of Summer.

One of the more common questions I get when people consider coming to the Keys for the first time is "does it get hot there?" Anytime I'm asked that question, I scratch my head for a moment. We're in South Florida. VERY South Florida. Floridians call it as it really is... the Keys. Islands. America's Caribbean. Yes, praise everything, it IS hot down here.

All this weather down here is driving me to silliness; I was busted on my run today mid-road dance by none other than a Sheriff. Embarrassing? Yes. But, things like this happen when I'm surrounded by blue skies, palm trees, and a heat index blasting well over 90-something. Seems like just yesterday I was doing my daily miles getting blown back and forth across the road by north winds screeching over the Bight. Those days are long gone. Spring lasted about 4 hours down here.... a blip on the calendar. We're just about done with our "spring fall" (all the leaves on the trees fall in Spring down here, not autumn like the cold zone folks), and we're also just on the cusp of our "wet season." We are so parched down here its insane. Running along the street today I was gazing upon the huge dry patches in the mangroves where the "swamps" are so dry they're literally cracked. We had a small burst of thunderstorms run through overnight, that was great, but already its like they never even happened.

Ah, the blissful, glorious heat. Welcome back. I missed you so much. Let's never forget that I moved here to never be cold. I embrace the heat, the higher the temperature, the happier I get. I love the island breezes, the relaxed attitude, the sound of ice cubes tinkling in glasses, and the smell of coconut tanning butter as I prepare for my outdoor activities. May Day Keys style was celebrated by a 3.1 mile run in blistering heat, and a bad dance moment in front of a Sheriff. Not too bad overall I guess. For those of you who suffered through a long harsh winter, I'm wishing you a happy peaceful Spring. I hope you had a nice May Day too.

No comments:

Post a Comment