Recent_Comments

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Drink This!

I once tried to stuff a Green & Black's Maya Gold through my Champion. KIDDING! But, I probably did dream about that.

As much as I love my Champion, I have another kitchen tool which I am just as in love with, my Vitamix. There is almost no chore that cannot be done with the Vitamix. I have watched chefs use them, seen the company's own DVD demos, and have put my own through its paces for several years now. I think if I had but one kitchen appliance to choose (a Sophie's Choice of kitchen tragedy), it would be the Vitamix.

Being on a semi-sugar reducing kick of late, I think its appropriate to talk about how important I think breakfast is. Its the most important meal of the day (um, you've NEVER heard that before, right?) Well, it is. And, probably more of us skip it than any other meal. Why is that? Not hungry when you wake up? Not enough time? Don't know what to eat for breakfast? All poor excuses in my opinion.

For several hours from the moment I wake up, I'm in high gear working. But, even I eat breakfast every day. Don't say "yeah but you're COOKING breakfast anyway, so of course you eat breakfast" because I do not eat that nice fancy breakfast I serve every day. Its not realistic for our high speed culture to take 1 hour or so every morning to eat such a big beautiful breakfast, and I include myself in that statement. Instead, every morning I eat fresh fruit, flax flakes, and some type of non-dairy beverage. It takes about 2 minutes to prepare. Since when is it that any of us are not worth those 2 minutes to prepare a meal for ourselves, and the 5 minutes to eat it?

Another favorite breakfast of mine is a smoothie. You don't need a Vitamix to make smoothies, I just happen to have one. If you have a blender, you can make breakfast. My most absolute favorite smoothie in the world (until someone figures a way to make a Green & Black's smoothie) is frozen bananas, frozen strawberries, frozen blueberries, and apple juice. All organic of course. Don't be picky about measurements, just put some of the fruit in the blender, add your juice, set your cover, and blend. In seconds, you're enjoying breakfast. If you'd like, have a piece of toasted sprouted grain bread with this. If you must, put a dab of almond butter on your toast. Personally I like mine plain.

Not tempting you? Why not try a green smoothie? Pears are abundant in the winter, even down here. Combine 1 pear, 1 apple, 2 bananas, 1.5 cups baby greens, juice of 1/2 lemon or lime, 1 stalk celery and water. Core & dice your fruit, put everything in the blender, and go. Add enough water to make it drinkable. This serves 2. Talk about a powerhouse breakfast!

One of my favorite green smoothies is 2 bananas, 2 cups baby greens (I prefer baby romaine or baby spinach), 4 medium dates, a few chunks of papaya, and a splash of apple juice. Whirl in your blender, and you're again ready to roll. Serves 2.

I always freeze my bananas before I put them in smoothies. It makes a thicker beverage, which is my personal preference. You peel your bananas in advance, break them into smallish pieces, place them in a Ziploc, stash 'em in your freezer, and you've always got your nanas ready. Bananas are the great "fixer of anything that tastes wrong" in a smoothie. Trust me, it works. Also, I do freeze ALL my fruit, but never any of my veggies used in smoothies. Never.

We get so many papayas in our garden, sometimes its the equivalent of summer zucchini. You know what I mean, don't you? We've all known someone who gives away shopping bags of zucchini from their garden in the summer. Here, its copious amounts of papaya. But, I freeze mine and put it in almost anything that comes out of that Vitamix. Papaya has a lot of health benefits. It's a major digestive aid, and can help our bodies assimilate the nutrients of other foods better. Papaya has a lot of anti-oxidents, which can help our bodies in many ways, including cholesterol issues. Papaya is an anti-inflammatory food, and may help some people to an extent who suffer from rheumatoid arthritis, among other ailments.

There's 2 kinds of papaya growing in the Deer Run garden. One is long and oblong, the other is more round with a yellower skin. The round papaya are golden on the inside. The oblong papaya are luscious deep red inside. I don't know the proper names of these variations, I know that those red papayas are a gift from the Universe. There is nothing like a ripe red papaya. Eaten raw, they are incredible. Lots of people down here serve wedges of that papaya, with slices of key lime, then squeeze the lime juice all over the wedge. Its very good, very VERY good.

If you don't have all those papayas in your own garden, perhaps a trip to your local green grocer is in order. Pick up a bag of frozen organic papaya or mango. Then, go home and blend.

You can make any combo you like in your smoothie. For added powerhouse benefit, add in a squeeze of organic flax oil, some spirulina (egads, you DO know what THAT is, right?!), chia seeds, ground flax seeds, or a scoop of your favorite (vegan) protein powder. There's no recipe for these things, there's only your imagination. Let your inner beast go wild.

So, you get my drift, dontcha? EAT BREAKFAST! Fill that travel mug with a smoothie. Any smoothie will do. You have to start somewhere, so pick 2 of your favorite fruits, a beverage (soy milk, rice milk, almond milk, apple juice, etc.) and get to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment