Recent_Comments

Thursday, December 22, 2011

Solstice!

Happy Solstice to you!  How was your day?  Did you know today was the Winter Solstice?

Winter Solstice means many things to many people, and nothing to some people. I recognize it as, among other things, a return to light. Days now begin to get longer, we're scraping and clawing our way back to Summer.  Remember Summer?

I've been busy.  So busy, in fact, that I did not do any special baking for myself or my Solstice loving friends.  I'll have to find a way to make up for this on Yule.  But, at least I did find time to make some deliveries today.  I donned my best sparkly Santa hat, put on assorted other sparkly attire with shorts (yup, shorts... 82 degrees here today), Santa socks and motorcycle boots, and out the door I went with boxes and bags of treats.  I drove up and down the Keys making my deliveries for those who observe Christmas.  These were not "work" deliveries, these were personal. Vegan, organic delights I've been working on for days for my friends. Those who care for my animals, care for the planet, care for my community, and care for me. 

Its been a tough go around here lately.  I get crabby, the other happy vegan gets crabby.  Long hours, seemingly unending work.  When I went out to retrieve something in my car yesterday (after 3pm) it was the first time I had even been outside the confines of my quarters.  I was struck by how bright the sun was, and actually how hot it was. The temperature read 81 degrees.  It moved me enough to shut off the oven, push aside the mixing bowls and pans, put on some running clothes and get outside for an overdue run.  I decided while running that today, Solstice, I would make my deliveries to my friends. 

So I spent this morning boxing and wrapping those special treats, got Santa-d up, and went for that drive.  No holiday music on the radio, I'm not in the mood, even tropical music wasn't doing it.  I went for the best vintage classic rock I could find, and headed up and down the Keys.  I'm so glad I made the time.  As I was driving over the 7 Mile Bridge (again) and the bridge near Bahia Honda, I really marveled at the color of the water.  The winds have been blowing for days, I'm not sure if the sediment stirring has an impact on the vivid color, but the aqua blues seemed even more picturesque today.  I flipped my Costas back and forth to check the difference with polarized lenses, just for fun.  The color seemed almost as blue (without), but certainly the dimension was not there without those awesome shades.

I wasn't the only person out and about in Santa gear, seems like the everyone really is "in the mood."  Like it or not, Christmas is coming, but today I simply rejoiced in Winter Solstice, and the beginning of the ebb back towards my beloved Summertime.

Wishing you a Happy Solstice.  Hang in there..... I swear, Summer's coming!  And, if you just can't wait, you might want to pop down to Big Pine.  Today we topped 82 degrees.    Now that's what I call a Winter Solstice.


No comments:

Post a Comment