Recent_Comments

Saturday, December 24, 2011

It's That Time

Christmas Eve.  Even for those of us who don't traditionally observe this holiday, it still brings a certain stillness in the air.  A special kind of peace.

I'm sitting here writing this post, while the other happy vegan replaces a battery in the boat.  He wants to take me out on the water to look at all the houses that are decorated for Christmas.  I was surprised when he asked me to do this, very happily surprised. Maybe the boat won't cooperate, I'm not too sure, I'll just have got wait and see.  I hope so though.

There's more than a touch of sadness in the air around me this time of year, I've lost too many people that were far too important in my life, at this time of year.  Not only is it an anniversary, but for whatever reason, loss seems amplified this time of year.  Also, today the other happy vegan and I went to sprinkle some ashes of our beloved friend, Kevin, who we lost just about this time last year.  Our friend Kevin, a modern day Renaissance Man.  Kevin's friends saved some ashes for us two happy vegans to sprinkle.  So, together we went to do this, toast Kevin with some organic tea, and say another good bye.  To console myself, I'm eating some beautiful vegan chocolates that were sent to me by a another very special friend up in the cold zone as I reflect on all that I have in my life, and all that I will miss every day until the day I die. And, as I eat these vegan chocolates I wonder also, why have the last four I've eaten been coconut?

Tonight, we shall light candles on our beach in memory of our loved ones not here anymore, and a special candle for all those we love who are facing such dire challenges in their lives.  We do this every year, and although it is very sad, it is also very happy because through the tears there is always laughter as we remember them and speak of the best memories, recounting so many fun times.

Memories.  Good ones and bad ones.  They're here to stay.

Whoops, I just got the bulletin that although the boat will not be fixed tonight, it will be in the morning.  That's ok.  We're going to take a ride around the island, just the two of us, look at houses and celebrate the blessings that we have here in Paradise.

I wish you a very Merry Christmas, may it be filled with family, fun, friendship, and compassion for our Mother Earth and all who inhabit it.  That, and lots of vegan chocolate.  Merry Merry.


No comments:

Post a Comment