Recent_Comments

Saturday, December 31, 2011

Bye-bye 2011!

I planned to have a post yesterday, so I could do a different post today, but I'm going to combine (sort of) my thoughts for my final post of 2011, as we usher in the New Year.

I don't give too much thought to resolutions any more.  Some people do, some people don't.  That's ok.  But, there's one resolution I hope that more people will consider as we move into a fresh new year, and that is going veg or at least reducing the amount of meat and animal products eaten.  In order to encourage this, and help people along, an organization called Mercy For Animals has something called the New Year's Veg Pledge, and is offering free vegetarian starter kits.  You can find out about this at www.mercyforanimals.org.  MFA is working very diligently to expose cruelties, torture and other atrocities involving the animals-for-food industry.  I encourage you to check out their web site.

So, we're saying good bye to another whole year, and honestly I wonder how is it possible that time is passing so quickly.  The older I get, the faster time goes.  So long ago, every day seemed to last forever.  A single day was filled morning to late at night with the wonders of everything.  Now it seems like I simply blink and its tomorrow.  Maybe the lesson in it all is just a reminder that all we really have is today, so don't waste it.

While our 2011 here at Deer Run was filled with ups and downs, as I reflect on things I mostly remember the better parts of the year. New friends we've made, and old ones that re-visited.  I think about the environmental issues we have gotten involved with.... things right here on my street that cause negative impacts on our planet and its inhabitants.  There is a small glimmer that there will be some justice, finally, in 2012; that there might be some remediation on some very big wrongs that were done in the past against Mother Earth. This includes illegal seawalls blocking nesting habitat for sea turtles.  I'm watching and waiting now, as our part is done for some of these ills.... its in the hands of "officials" and well, we'll just see what happens.

I expect to see much more serious subjects taken on by the other happy vegan and myself regarding environmental issues.  Things on a larger scale, subjects that must be tackled and changes made for our community and our planet.  We have to start somewhere on all these projects, and although sometimes we don't know exactly WHERE to start, we just have to breathe deeply, close our eyes and jump in ... so to speak.  Get started, that's what we have to do.  The same way I encourage everyone to move towards a more plant based diet.... just get started.  Nothing fancy needed.  No special food, no special equipment.  Simply reduce something.  Meatless Mondays are a great idea, a movement that is spreading to many cities, and maybe that's how you'd like to tackle a more plant-based diet.  Just pick a day to NOT eat animals and their by-products.

I really have no idea what 2012 holds.  There's many things percolating right now, we're "on the edge" of big events and projects as I write this post.  I know that the other happy vegan and I are fully committed to being good stewards.  With every passing day the sense of urgency seems to ramp up even more; we will continue to do more to serve our planet, and everyone (and everything) on it. People, animals, planet.  Do something positive.

I'll see you in 2012, keeping you up to date on the happenings here in our neck of the beautiful Florida Keys.  We're keeping our eye on the prize (the prize being justice, education, and wonderful things like that) and hope you will too.  We're big fans of our planet, we're big fans of all environmental warriors out there, we're big fans of the Keys, and we're big fans of Deer Run.  We hope you will join us as we move into the New Year and keep your eye on the prize too.  Do good, live lightly, dare to care, and become involved with a cause bigger than yourself.  With that, how can any of us go wrong?

Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment