Recent_Comments

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Vegan Thanksgiving

T-minus two days til Thanksgiving Day. Admittedly its not what it used to be for me anymore.  Mostly because I think I live with much more gratitude in my life than before, so I don't really need a special day to reflect and be thankful, I already am.  Yet, Thanksgiving brings other things to the forefront for me, mostly about violence and cruelty towards animals to satisfy the selfish wants of some.  This is a bad time of year to be a turkey.

I went to the supermarket today, had to get groceries for Pop, so I got my supplies for the next week or so.  People were in the store buzzing like bees.  Everyone blindly grabbing food and tossing it into carts with, in my opinion, not very much thought. No thought to the source of that food, no thought as to the likely genetic modifications the food was subjected to at some point, no thought as to the pesticides or herbicides sprayed on the food, and no thought to the suffering of the animals for the non-vegetarian choices. It became a bit overwhelming for me.  I did my shopping as quickly as I could, while proudly wearing the other happy vegan's Sea Shepherd sweatshirt.  I got a lot of looks, but no comments on it (this time).

While I was looking at baked goods (you know I don't buy the "store" goods, but I do like to keep current as to what is "out there") I found a cake in the shape of a turkey.  The ingredients were long, with many chemicals and preservatives I honestly could not pronounce.  It was also made with very cheap ingredients. The cake looked cute, but it was a horror show of things no one should eat.  But, I snapped a pic on my cell phone, came home, and made my version of the cake, which is pictured above.  I'm gonna give myself some props on this one.  This cake was made "on the fly" without a plan really.  It is entirely organic except for the non-aluminum baking powder. It is vegan. Even the food colorings are organic. So, maybe its not fluorescent orange and neon red like the one at the store, but I kinda wonder what MAKES that red so neon, that orange so fluorescent.  I didn't do much planning with the colors, I could do better, and will next time. But, its the point that this cake is one that is cruelty free, organic and actually will taste amazing.  There's way better choices in my cake with things like organic pure maple syrup for sweetener, and real organic fair trade vanilla beans for flavor.

Vegan Thanksgiving.  I'm frustrated because I'm tired of stuffing my thoughts and feelings when someone feels compelled to tell me how "wonderful" their cholesterol laden, unhealthy, cruel meal was. I don't want to re-live that meal of yours, trust me, I don't.  I work very hard to find balance with my personal beliefs and dealing with the public.  On this holiday I have no good thoughts about the food being offered up, and I have no small opinions about the horror show that is known as factory farming. It's absolutely despicable.

It doesn't have to be this way, it doesn't.  It shouldn't be this way.  Cruelty should not be on the menu.  I don't see this as something to celebrate, not at all.  Too many food conglomerates are passing off items that are called "food" but really don't fit the technical definition of food.  Food is supposed to nourish our bodies, it is not supposed to cause suffering; not supposed to cause disease, illness, or poor nutrition.  But, so much of what is offered up is doing exactly that.  Major boo hiss.

We are having a cruelty free vegan dinner on Thanksgiving, just me and the other happy vegan.  It will not be extravagant, nor elaborate, but it will be healthy, tasty, and pleasing to look at.  We will not be making too much food so that excess goes to waste.  Absolutely not. Instead, we will be picking up some groceries for the local food bank over the weekend, and donating them for distribution.  And, those groceries will be cruelty free, and healthy too.

I honestly feel like I'd like to just join Pink Moon and hide under the covers til its all over, but that's not an option. Instead, I'll just have to deal with all this, and you'll just have to deal with me til I get myself back on balance.  I do hope you'll find yourself making some compassionate choices with your food. A lot is at stake, and ignorance is NOT bliss.




No comments:

Post a Comment