Recent_Comments

Monday, September 5, 2011

Where I Belong

I couldn't muster the energy to run until early evening today.  My mojo has been off for a few days.  I'm still getting out there, but a few days have been more grueling than I'm used to, when I run mid-day, my times are slower and, well lately there's been a lot on my mind and its been draining at times.

So, knowing I didn't want to miss a day, but not "feeling" it, my run didn't get rolling til after a wind storm passed through this evening.  I trudged down my steps and out on to the street.  Within seconds I began to be pelted with raindrops. I then realized how hot it still was, and decided that rain was actually quite nice.  I got going, it took all I could muster up inside to do this.  As I was going through my paces, I heard thunder rumbling consistently over my iPod. I looked around and saw the black cloud almost over my head, but still only felt refreshing drops, nothing major coming down. Yet.  I didn't see any lightning either, and I noted quite a bit of blue sky among all those clouds.  Then I looked to the ocean and I saw a rainbow.  A really big rainbow.  It looked like it was growing out of these really odd shaped wispy clouds. It was so beautiful and a shock all at once.

As I was running and looking at the rainbow, I realized another one was forming off to the left.  I couldn't believe it, and had to stop and study the spot. But, it was true, another rainbow began to form.

Sometimes when I see rainbows, I think they are messages from people I love who have left this Earthly plane.  Its not really a message, is it? Probably not.  But, its some comfort to me, and for some reason certain people pop into my head when I see a rainbow, and its like they're saying "hi, I miss you, I know you miss me, so this is for you" and I begin to have conversations with them in my head.

I kept running.

I kept playing the music, hearing the thunder and seeing the rainbows. Then, I kid you not, I saw another giant rainbow.  A different one than the others, but this one was already a double.  So, now there was 4 rainbows going all at once.  I shut off the iPod and began to really look around me as I moved into a very fast walk instead of running.

I heard the hum of a plane somewhere above me, I looked and saw a seaplane making its way over the Bight.  It was high enough that it sounded like white noise. And I took note of all the Key deer around the road. It was close to dusk, they're pretty active at that time. I saw too many to count tonight.  I didn't interfere with them, and I channeled messages to them begging them to stay off the roads, and away from people. I saw all sorts of birds doing their thing, perched on wires, flying, diving, and playing in the sky.  As all this is going on, I rounded a bend and saw, yes, with no exaggeration, another rainbow.  Five rainbows.

Five rainbows? I began to think "what does this mean?"

I'm not much of a thinker, that stuff usually gets me into trouble so I'm a fan of quieting the voices in my head.  Instead, my mind jumped again to "double rainbow guy" from YouTube. Do you remember that one? That video went viral, and I found myself chuckling as I watched it I guess sometime last year.  But, double rainbow guy made his way into my head as I asked "what does this mean?"  I drowned out double rainbow guy with a quick flick of the iPod "on" button, and shifted back to running.

Four of the 5 rainbows faded by the time I hit my turnaround, but one lingered.  In fact, that last rainbow watched over me almost the whole way home.

All it meant was, I was exactly where I was supposed to be, for exactly those moments.  A victory for me today. Considering all the turmoil we all go through just to survive, I found great comfort in knowing I was finally where I belonged for once in my life, even if it was just for a run.

If anyone knows double rainbow guy, maybe you can clue him in too.

No comments:

Post a Comment