Recent_Comments

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Time Flies, As Do Butterflies

I cannot hit a home run every day, can I? I aspire to, but the reality, perhaps not possible.

Today, the weather is glorious. Any word less than that falls short, absolutely. It is 81 degrees as I write. This, in the middle of a brutal January where so much of the country has already been pounded repeatedly by snow, ice, hail, winds, bitter cold, and bad attitudes. Not even mentioned yet is the fact that more snow is heading for the northeast, and yes, I really AM sorry about your snow.

So, here I was all day on Big Pine Key. The skies are so blue its another day where if you go out without your sunglasses, you'll be sorry. Its been hectic here, very hectic. I have so many extra obligations swirling around me its getting a little frustrating. Of course I took Pop up to Marathon for his golf group, and then spent the better part of over an hour marketing up there. I've been quite dissatisfied for a while with our local big chain supermarket, and now make a conscious effort to avoid them. I spend my chain store money at the supermarket in Marathon. I'm up there twice a week anyway. They're certainly treating me better, and providing me with better quality. Of course, Good Food Conspiracy right here on Big Pine is my life line and always will be, we're their #1 fans, they are the best, but sometimes I have to go other places too. All this extra stuff eats up my precious time.

I had every good intention today of running. Not just running, soaring. I've been looking out my window longingly. Perfect weather, but my kitchen chore list was extra long today. I did manage to go outside and investigate a birth in the garden. Today, a new monarch butterfly had a birthday. I've been watching him. It was very exciting, he cocooned up under a leaf of my Cuban oregano. Yesterday I discovered that his leaf had been torn off the plant, but I did recover it, and Mr. Happy Vegan placed the leaf & cocoon in a safe spot on the back of the plant. We noticed the cocoon had turned almost completely black, semi-translucent. We knew it was to be his birthday very soon, and yes, this morning it was. We watched him flap his wings tentatively at first, then more vigorously, drying them off, letting them fill up with butterfly blood, and waiting to take his first flight . By the time I went back out to re-investigate, he was gone. I'm not sad, I'm happy. He will flit and flutter around my garden, I will see him I am certain. They do not go far, usually.

So, it's coming close to dusk, and there is not enough daylight left for my soaring run. I am disappointed in myself. I cannot hit a home run every day with my personal time, but I'll admit, the days when I do not hit that mark, I'm disappointed.

Tomorrow is another day. The forecast is a carbon copy of today. There is no way I will not be out there, no way. For now, I'm clearing the rest of the work out of the kitchen post haste, and pouring a glass of wine very soon. Lesson learned, priorities first. Dinner is poured.

No comments:

Post a Comment