Recent_Comments

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Oh My Gosh! Someone Else GETS It!

I wrote recently how I enjoy reading other people's blogs. There's some I read more faithfully than others, but almost without fail, I take something away after reading, I've learned something.

Such is the case with local writers as well. I read any local newspaper I can get my hands on, be it Upper, Middle, or Lower Keys, including Key West. Our hometown newspaper had me laughing out loud with the last 2 weeks worth of what is titled "drivel" in the News Barometer. I'm still laughing at the edition which essentially discussed "what we say" vs. "what we really think." Some parts of it made me think someone was inside my head, I swear it.

Why am I bringing this up today? Well, I read something on line which again made me think hooray, we are not alone in the crusade for environmental responsibility. Mr. Happy Vegan and I spend countless hours picking up trash. On the beach. On the street. In parking lots. In other people's yards. When I'm out running, if I pass someone's trash can and I see recycling mixed in with regular trash, I've been known to stop and sort it out. This never ending picking up of the trash is frustrating, and lonely. Frustrating because if those of us living and visiting these beautiful islands of the Florida Keys cannot "get" that trash blowing in the street ends up in water within about less than 15 minutes, then well, we're doomed. Lonely, because it so often feels like no one else cares.

Time to thank the Universe for reminding me others DO care. I'm providing a link for an article which appears in one of the local Keys papers. I love that someone out there cares enough to attempt to shame a litterbug into responsibility (unfortunately, the offender had no shame), but I still love that another environmental warrior did this. I love that the author is herself an environmental warrior; out there herself, picking up trash. Reminding us how it comes full circle very fast, and kills animal life. And, more than anything I love that she really owns her feelings (you'll see what I mean towards the end of the article). While perhaps publicly I'm not admitting it, maybe inside I feel the same way as she does. But... she's writing it. She owns it, and I love that!

Ready or not, here it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment