Recent_Comments

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Horton, Are you Listening?

Snow abounds in many regions, again. Sub-zero temperatures, or very close to them, are also in full effect. Here, we've got some up and down temps, but nothing compared to the horror stories of the north. Thanks to our island weather, I met up for a date with my convertible. We had a nice time, and made plans to do it again. On the dark drive home, pelted by stardust, I thought about time and space. This subject has been on my mind since reading a comic strip a couple weeks ago. The 2 main characters were holding an ant farm, and talking about the ants. They were lamenting how despite all the ants fancy work & effort, they're basically just tiny little insects trapped in a plastic world for the amusement of others. Move forward in the strip, and of course there's two aliens holding an "ant farm" which contains the planet Earth. They're speaking in alien words, but the subtitles explain the exact same feelings about the people on Earth.

That strip reminded me of Dr. Seuss's Horton Hears a Who. Similar premise, wouldn't you agree? One of my favorite books of all time. In fact, Dr. Seuss has penned a few on my "favorite books of all time" list. There's a lot of deep thinking in some of those books, like it or not. So, I have been thinking about time, space, the cosmos, and my place in it. This train of thought brought me to my rooftop sanctuary.

Wrapped up in a nice old blanket, wearing my version of winterwear, I ventured up to my private roof space. It was brisk, and uncomfortably cool. I pulled out a chair, and stared at the sky. It was crystal clear. I was alone, no Mr. Happy Vegan to explain the different constellations and planets. He looks at the sky and sees science. I look at the sky and see smoke and spirits. He fancies astronomy while I prefer astrology.

On that recent night on this very small island with the Milky Way splashed across the sky, I saw planets, stars, satellites, airplanes, stardust, the moon, light and dark. I felt like the most insignificant being in existence within that stillness. My mind eventually wandered back to Dr. Seuss's Horton. Maybe we all are a speck on a piece of dust after all, but Horton teaches us to respect the sanctity of all life.

I've been reading a blog written by a woman in Taiji, Japan right now. She is there witnessing and documenting the annual cetacean slaughter at a Japanese cove profiled in the movie aptly titled "The Cove." She is agonized by what she sees, but presses on every day to raise awareness. She knows this slaughter must stop, so many people know this must stop. She knows we're all connected. I thought about her place in the cosmos, and I know she is right where she belongs in this moment. Fighting for the future, fighting for sanity, refusing to give in or give up. My heart aches for her and the others there working to stop the killing. My heart breaks even more for the animals that are being killed there. Her blog is here http://acoveguardian.wordpress.com/

I may be a speck, as we all may be, but our actions matter to others seen and unseen. No matter the big picture, or the little picture, my rooftop visit communing with the cosmos reminds me that somehow we're connected. In the snow. On an island. In Japan, the ocean, the sky or somewhere else. Need proof, just look at the sky.

No comments:

Post a Comment