Recent_Comments

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

A Bed & Breakfast of Radical Inclusion

Time marches on. We're already heading into the tail end of January, pretty mind-boggling from where I sit. Let's catch up on a few things, and talk a bit, shall we?

Over the last few days, we've been interviewed by several media outlets, continued to meet wonderful guests from all over the world, had some soaking rains, moved our web cam, and live life in between.

We had a guest here who said she'd never seen such beautiful sunrises as at Deer Run, and suggested we move our web cam to show them to the world. We agree with her. What a great idea, so now check out the new location of the cam (thanks for the great suggestion Elaine!) Presently in our neck of the Earth, sunrise is just after 7am. Our cam will soon have a pan/zoom feature, and then we will be able to show sunsets too. I've been enjoying the new cam location as well. Usually I'm on the other side of the house cooking and baking at sunrise. Now, I duck into the office a few times through morning work to watch the cam stream. Its so beautiful.

The night before last, we had soaking rains, some of which carried over through the day. I heard reports that the rains broke an old record for the same date in Key West, while here on Big Pine I heard a report that we got 4 inches in some places. Very unusual for this time of year, typically this is referred to as the dry season, that's for a reason. South Florida is almost constantly dealing with drought conditions, the Keys are no different. With all that rain, we're still in drought conditions. It was nice for the garden, nice for the animals, and nice to have my car washed, thank you Universe. Now we're back to warm temperatures, today even has quite a touch of humidity added. As soon as I finish this post, I'm heading out for a run, looking forward to running in the heat.

Our friend Dr. Will Tuttle was interviewed by Erika Biddle yesterday afternoon at Key West's own KONK-AM. Both Mr. Happy Vegan and myself watched & listened live via computer. One of the things Dr. Tuttle said which really struck me was that veganism is a system of radical inclusion. Simply defined this statement essentially means that vegans consider all living creatures when making choices, not just their own selfish wants. Of all the ways to summarize what being vegan means to me, there probably are no more perfect words to be said. I then began to think about how I project myself to the outside world on this issue.

Recently, there's been media outlets interviewing us, some briefly, some at length. Most questions deal with the green lifestyle and business aspects, but inevitably talk will come to vegan food and lifestyle. Choosing a vegan lifestyle absolutely goes hand in hand with green living. I realize that some people may feel alienated by veganism. I believe that is mostly because it is misunderstood, as well as the fact that there is knowledge inside most of us that there are major problems with agri-business and the way animals are treated by humans, yet denial takes root when those issues cross our minds. Bringing conversation to veganism forces us to confront those facts. It can make people uncomfortable, yet that is no reason to deny truth and reality.

Looking back at my life so far, I am willing to admit that I am at my best when I am forced out of my comfort zone. It is at those times when I realize just exactly who I really am, and what I am really capable of. Not too long ago, I was listening to a military person speak. He said that most people think we do "our best" but really have no idea what "our best" is because we aren't often tested to our limits. I agree.

It is through education and knowledge that change begins. Deer Run strives to be a place of peace and encourages questions from anyone who guests here or not. We do our best to respond to all queries about environmental issues, including this compassionate lifestyle, and we will always do so. We at Deer Run consider our beautiful home a bed and breakfast of radical inclusion. We hope you do too.

1 comment:

  1. Will Tuttle got it right with his assessment that veganism is radical inclusion. While on the outside it may seem that veganism is simply "eat this/not that" and "wear this/not that," it's about so much more than what you buy. For me, going vegan opened up a wealth of connection and compassion for other animals that was already there, just forgotten.

    ReplyDelete