Recent_Comments

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving Day is closing in quickly... within just a couple of hours. Here at Deer Run, Thanksgiving is a day like most others, meaning we work. As we work, we do not ever let a single day pass (no matter how crabby Mr. Happy Vegan accuses me of being before my morning cereal) without stopping at some point, and giving thanks. While I appreciate a day set aside specifically to give thanks, I also strive to live with an attitude of gratitude.

I am thankful for my freedom, and those who fought (and fight) for it. Thank you for your sacrifices.

I am thankful for my country, no matter how good or bad I think our government is on any given day. I am thankful for my family who even though we're far away, I know would sacrifice everything if I needed them. I am thankful for my friends, old and new; for my community, my home, my companion animals, and of course Mr. Happy Vegan. I am thankful I live with someone who thinks about ways to make life, near and far, better for many, especially animal life inside and outside my home. I am thankful I have my health, and the ability to run like hell in triple digit heat indexes. I am thankful for the men & women who serve and protect my life and property, and those who serve and protect animals, both wild & domestic. I am thankful for the food choices I have that are not based upon animal torture, exploitation and suffering. I am thankful for the big things in life (oceans, clean water, the air I breathe, and all things found in nature) as well as the small things in life (pajamas, snacks, good hair days, convertible cars, scones, naps and chocolate).

I am thankful for where I live, and the common sense to realize the amazing experience this really is for me.

On Thanksgiving Day, I will remember those I love who have passed on long ago or not so long ago, and be thankful that I knew them at all, even though I miss them terribly.

I am thankful for all the bounty in my life, and will do what I can to ease suffering for those in need, especially the voiceless animal victims in our world.

I hope anyone reading this has a meaningful Thanksgiving, celebrated in whatever way suits you best. Happy Thanksgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment