Recent_Comments

Monday, November 22, 2010

Detours

By definition, detour means:
1. A roundabout way or course, especially a road used temporarily instead of a main route.
2. A deviation from a direct course of action.

This word popped into my head tonight... detours. Its a word I think of to partly describe my feelings upon hearing that another friend of the inn has passed.

I wrote not too long ago about this friend; young and struggling in dire circumstances of failing health. She has passed. I had a healing candle going, and thought a lot about her. I hoped for a miracle, I'm sure anyone who knew her hoped for the same. It was not meant to be.

I can't help but hope her Earthly existence was really a detour to her real existence, in the spiritual sense of her soul. Actually, I wonder that for all of us, including myself. So, I looked up the "correct" definition of detour and found the above writings. Interesting to me, because I actually think it supports my hopes for her, myself, and all of us. That being on Earth is a detour to the main big gig. Perhaps its multiple lives and reincarnation, constantly working on our spiritual selves stuck in physical bodies time and time again. I don't believe in "Heaven," but I do believe in "Hell." "Hell" isn't necessarily a place you go "after" this life, rather it can dwell within us, or on our doorstep. At least, that's what I think. But, then again, I guess so can "Heaven."

I think our friend's life was cut short. I think she had so much more ahead for herself, and I think she could've accomplished anything she set her mind too. Smart, kind, pretty, creative, artistic, curious, and funny. That's just the beginning, and I must remember we don't usually see our own selves the way the world does. Then again, it really doesn't matter what I think, because it doesn't change anything. Not one thing. What I can change is how I view her brief life, and her untimely passing. I do wish I had spent more time with her, and known her longer & better. But, I am so grateful for knowing her at all. She was a good person. I remember the first time I met her, I swear there was something so genuinely sweet about her, that I actually caved and gave her one of my recipes. I handed it over willingly, with a smile, and no regrets. That's something I almost never do, and I have reasons for that. Many times when I'd even see her in passing, she talked to me about that one stupid simple thing. She appreciated it.

Our friend was 34 years old. I can't help but reflect on my life at 34, how it was then, and how it is now. I had no idea that things would get so good. I wish she had the opportunity for that too. The Universe knows best, I guess. Who am I to think anything else? Maybe she struggled and suffered enough here, some power out there thought enough of her to whisk her away from this, to something so much better. I don't know. Depending on the day, I think everything is random, everything is planned, there is no karma, there's only karma, and on and on and on.

Another friend has gone. We mourn her passing, and ache for her family & friends. I can't help but hope her next stop is better than this was for her. The good soul that she was, well I just want her to be free from pain, and happy. I hope I am not asking for too much. I really think she deserves it.

No comments:

Post a Comment