Recent_Comments

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Road Trip, Road Run & Road Food

There's something wrong with anyone who doesn't love a good road trip. From the day I secured my driving license, there's been something magical about the words "road trip." For me, I hope the magic will be there until I die.

We had a road trip recently, part of which took us to Ft. Lauderdale, and a dinner at Sublime. If you haven't been there, put it on your "must do" list, really. Its vegan dining at its best. The decor is absolutely divine, the food marvelous, and the service has always been just wonderful every time we've gone. For me, any contemplated road trip is worked out as best as possible to include a stop at Sublime. I wish I could name names, but my bad I suck at remembering names. Our bartender was again super, as was our server. And, as usual, the owner Nanci stops by to greet EVERY patron, checking up on things. One thing not yet mentioned.... Sublime is operated with the entire net proceeds going to animal charity. You read that right, the ENTIRE profit margin goes to animal charity. Any time I hear stuff like that, a part of me thinks maybe the planet isn't doomed after all, thanks in part to people like Nanci and everyone associated with her restaurant supporting her stellar cause. Thanks gang at Sublime (insert huge yum here!)

That covers "road trip." Next stop: "road run."

I'm back in the game for running. I took almost 2 weeks off, that nagging muscle pull. It's still lingering, I'm very annoyed by this. Being fed up with the nonsense of pain while resting (which seemed to accomplish nothing), I barged back into boot camp PLUS running. Every day. Running. Every Day. Did I mention RUNNING.... EVERY DAY. I've realized if I only run a few miles every day, I don't limp as badly the final stretch. An even worse downside exists than the muscle pull; in the last 2 days, I've been "caught" doing air guitar while running, dancing while running, and worse of all.... singing while running. When those earbuds are plugged in, I really tend to forget how ghastly quiet the road is. Voices carry, especially an out of tune voice belting out the (I'm so sure) wrong words to funky soul OR the worst of the worst.... singing a guitar solo (don't lie, you KNOW you've sung a guitar solo or 2 in your time). I about died when a contractor's van passed me mid-air guitar. I must've looked absolutely ridiculous. Thankfully I did not have my Blue Angels shirt on, so didn't disgrace their good name. I hope I'll never see that van again, but odds are not stacked in my favor on that one.

Last "road" topic is "road food." Of course, my road trips are totally planned around food, which includes Sublime in Ft. Lauderdale, and a stop at our friend Jose's amazing restaurant in Plantation Key called The Spanish Garden. Although not a vegan stop, Jose' has a sandwich he make not on the menu. Don't forget this.... NOT ON THE MENU. Its a divine totally veg concoction of baby greens, avocado, tomatoes, roasted peppers, etc. on beautiful bread with his home made vinaigrette. Best vinaigrette I've ever had, and I know vinaigrette. Unfortunately, I misplanned the trip up, and he was closed the day we headed out of town (INSERT BIG FROWN HERE). Happily, he was open on the way back down, so road food ended on a happy note. Road food also included multiple stops at Whole Foods (DAIYA! SHEESE! VEGAN DONUTS!) as well as discovering a Swiss Bakery which makes some of the best vegan bread I've ever had. Yes, road food was covered.

I'll be out there again with my air guitar. Trust me on this: ridiculous doesn't matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment