Recent_Comments

Thursday, September 27, 2018

Vegan Month of Food 2018 Day 27: TV Dinner

"TV dinners, there's nothin' else to eat...
TV dinners, they really can't be beat..."

So, today we're talking TV dinners. Curl up on the couch, Netflix, and our own version of a TV dinner. It's really a comfort food kind of thing... not a whole dinner.

I'm a mashed potato and gravy kind of gal. That's all I want if it's comfort food. See?

Mashed potatoes, skin on
Soy Milk
Tons of black pepper
And the vegan gravy recipe noted outside the caption
A happy zone for me

I like them lumpy, but I'll eat them smooth. I don't care, as long as they're vegan, potatoes are life. Here's the gravy recipe I really love, I have no idea who to credit this to, but if anyone knows, please fill me in, I'm not looking to jack someone else's recipe as mine:

2 cubes vegan poultry bouillon (I use Edward & Son)
3 cups water
3T vegan butter
3T flour, plus more to thicken
1/2 tsp vegan poultry seasoning (pretty much all poultry seasoning is vegan, but double check)
cracked black pepper to taste

Heat the water and bouillon, stir til dissolved. Heat a pan over low/medium heat and whisk butter/flour til smooth and a roux forms. Pour the bouillon water slowly into the pan, whisking as you do so you don't get lumps (lumps are evil). Keep over medium heat til it bubbles, whisking to thicken... adding flour by the tablespoon til it's your desired consistency. When thick, remove from heat, whisk in seasoning and pepper.

Yepper, this is the real deal in my world.

"I like 'em frozen but you understand
I throw 'em in and wave 'em and I'm a brand new (wo)man, oh yeah"

Did you know Robert Palmer did a recording of this song too? :)

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment