Recent_Comments

Sunday, April 20, 2014

A New Addition

I suppose maybe I should offer up some lengthy explanation about my lack of blog entries, but that's not gonna happen. The fact of the matter is, I got busy, super busy, and I've had to choose some things over other things. I actually really do like blogging. It's cathartic to an extent, and helps me imprint certain experiences better. We've had a very busy Winter, and now Spring is here. Over the last few months, we've made some new friends, reacquainted with some old visiting friends, said goodbye to others who have moved out of the Keys (always tragic), and found ourselves absolutely at our personal limits of how much we can actually do with the meager 24 hours allotted to us daily.

One of the happier things that has happened is that we have a new addition here at Deer Run. A new 4 legged, furry heartbeat happened upon our airspace. She quickly moved into our hearts and home.

One night just a few short weeks ago, our bedroom windows where open. This has been rare this season, as we've had such a hot winter, with a lot more humidity than typical. So, we had this one night where it was glorious outside.... cooler, no humidity, and exceptionally windy. My bedroom is 2 walls of windows, I love it. All these windows were open, and over the very low volume of my all night television, I heard "mew mew mew." It was about midnight or 1 o'clock in the morning, so it took a few minutes for me to realize the plaintive meowing was coming from outside. I thought perhaps Elsa was in distress. I jammed my feeties into nearby slippers and went outside to investigate.

Oceanside outside of the Atlantis Suite, I saw a little dark figure seated on the ground. I called "Elsa! is that you?" and before I knew it a very small cat was running to me, and jumped into my arms. She was someone I had never met before, and very small. I held her and asked who was she? She had a collar and some bells on, but no identifying tags. As I ran my hands over her tiny body, she began to purr. I felt her and she was covered with lumps. At first I was horrified thinking she was covered with tumors, but the reality is that she was covered with massive fur mats. I carried this tiny, matted fur ball upstairs to my deck, and gave her food, which she devoured. Lather, rinse, repeat with 3 more bowls of food and 2 bowls of fresh water, and she eventually began to groom herself on my deck. I sat with her for hours that night. I went back to bed eventually, thinking about her as I tossed and turned. By 5am, I was up looking for her, and there she was, exactly where I left her. She rushed to the door when she saw me.

I was in deep.

Through the next day, I spent long hours with her, gently brushing her mats. She was so patient and tolerant with me. By the end of the day I had gotten every mat off her, leaving huge bare spots of her skin exposed. She kept purring.

Over the next few days, my life revolved around her, well ok, at least my "spare" moments did. I took her to our vet to have her scanned for a microchip (she had none, not surprisingly), and then had an appointment to have her tested for any infectious diseases, and a full physical exam.

She passed with flying colors.

At the appointment, I had her microchipped. Last week I registered the chip to us.

I would like to introduce you to Princess Glitter FancyPants. We tried a few names on her, including Princess Glitter Dreadlocks, but she has lost the dreads (mats are all gone, yay!) and well, FancyPants suits her, trust me.

We now have 6 official cats, or should I say 6 official cats have us. As I write this, Princess is on my lap. She has become exceptionally attached to me very quickly, and I admit reciprocity exists with myself. I adore her and she adores me right back.

Princess Glitter FancyPants.
She loves to stick her tongue out.
Adorbs!

1 comment:

  1. Such a cutie, as always! Our kitty, Floyd, says "hi" to Princess - he's sticking his tongue out as well!

    ReplyDelete