Recent_Comments

Saturday, September 22, 2012

Soak it in... a little break

I'm taking a little break to do some traveling.  Not long,and no place exotic; I'll be back before you even know it.  However, I thought I'd mention it because my internet access will be very limited. The other happy vegan will be holding down the fort at home. He's not a fan of writing, so he won't fill in the blanks on the blog and facebook. Can't blame him about that. I'm pretty much unplugged, but if I do happen upon an internet cafe, maybe I'll step inside to an update here and there, but don't expect much, ok?
 
Now, onto other stuff.  Last night we were at that Save a Turtle fundraiser.  It was also a fundraiser for the Marathon Wild Bird Center.  I met two raptors at the event, one a red shouldered hawk, the other a kestrel.  The red shouldered hawk had one wing.  Turns out when the hawk was about 9 months old, he was electrocuted and suffered massive injuries to one wing.  Actually, the injury was the "hand", but infection set in, so eventually the one entire wing was amputated.  What a beautiful raptor.  It was sad to hear that this beautiful bird tries every day to fly.  Every day. He is very well cared for, I do believe there must be some dismay within that little soul not being able to soar high in the sky though.
 
The other bird was a kestrel. That bird was actually captive raised in Cuba. Not really sure the circumstances of the Wild Bird Center coming upon this bird, but basically since this little bird has the captivity history, she has lost her instinct to hunt.  She would not survive if let go.  Mostly these birds are used for education.  I don't really think that's exploitation, and the work the Wild Bird Center does is extremely important. Their main goals are rescue, rehab and release; they certainly do a lot of that. If you haven't been to the Wild Bird Center in Marathon, you really should make a point of it next time you're in the Keys.
 
While I'm away, I'm going to have a full schedule for most of the time.  I expect to have some things to report when I return, and I also expect that I should have some nice pictures to share.  While I'm away I will also be attending a vegan festival, admittedly I'm very excited about that.  I hope to meet some of my "idols," expect to eat some amazing food, see some of the friends I've made through the years at Deer Run who also have vegan businesses around the country who will have booths at the festival, shop, attend some presentations, and listen to some great live music. It's been several years since I've been to a festival like this, and I'm looking forward to it.
 
I hope you don't forget me while I'm gone, and that you enjoy some of my old blog posts in my absence.  I'll be calling home frequently, and also checking in on Good Hope who is still recovering at the Turtle Hospital. I hope you all have a great few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment