Recent_Comments

Friday, April 6, 2012

There's Always Hope. And Pesto.

We've been regrouping from the bad news we received about the environmental fight we've been part of.  The other happy vegan has picked himself up, dusted himself off, and is back in the saddle. We both are ready to move forward, because as they say, it ain't over til its over.... and this one ain't over.

This past week we had our annual "stranding & salvage" training for endangered sea turtles, and this week coming we have our annual nesting training.  Its almost that time of year again; turtle time!  Tax day may be the 17th this year, but turtles don't wait for taxes.  The beach walks begin on the 15th, as they do every year.  The timing is a little ironic considering the environmental issue I've referenced above, and in my last post, involves (alleged, yeah right) illegal filling of submerged lands (Atlantic ocean kiddos) and shoreline hardening, which has eliminated nesting habitat for (yes, endangered) sea turtles.  I keep scratching my head over this one, but honestly this little patch of shoreline is kind of representative to some of us down here as "all that is wrong with some people and their attitudes."

So, we've got (alleged, yeah right) illegal issues going on with endangered species habitat, annual turtle training, and the usual "I'm too busy for anything extra" of this time of year, but.... I've got time for pesto!  Since I received my copy of Chloe's Kitchen cookbook, it has not left the prized spot on my counter on my dad's old iron trivet which supports my cookbook holder.  Today I made Chloe's avocado pesto.  I haven't done more than taste test this one with a sample, but I do believe she's got another winning recipe for me at hand.  The one thing I wasn't sure of was what type of avocado she used (being that she's a Cali girl, probably Hass, which is much smaller than our beloved Florida avocados), but I had Florida, so Florida it was.  I think I made double the recipe due to the avocado size issue, because I pretty much doubled all the rest of the ingredients.  It is very creamy, and quite flavorful (ok, ok, I added more than a little extra garlic, but hey, that's just me).

Helping to pull us out of our environmental funk, I've got pesto.  A good dose of hope that right WILL eventually prevail, and the endangered species WILL get their habitat back SOMEDAY goes down even better with a fantastic dose of Chloe's pesto.

3 comments:

  1. I was going to try that Pesto recipe this week! I've been trying to come up with a suitable vegan substitite for butter. I know margarine but I really do NOT like what's in that stuff... I stumbled upon this and I'm wondering what you think? I don't understand how something infused with Butter can be vegan?

    http://davoliooliveoil.com/website/?p=783

    Thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm completely unfamiliar with that product, and did check it out. I too wonder how it's vegan, so I sent the company a product query. We'll see what the reply is, and then I'll share the response w/you. Here, I use organic Earth Balance for a butter substitute. It comes in several varieties, and I use the soy free version for anyone who cannot have soy. You might want to try this product, or you may choose not with your concerns expressed. I sauté with a touch of olive oil, then add water as needed to keep the calories lower. BTW, the pesto really is a great recipe!

      Delete
  2. I use Earth Balance too. We are looking forward to our 1st stay at Deer Run B&B. See you Sunday night! dbarrstevens@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete