Recent_Comments

Monday, January 2, 2012

And He Huffed, And He Puffed, and He Blew the House Down

The "he" is Old Man Winter.  The "huffing & puffing" pertains to the "cold front" blowing through right now, as I clatter along the keyboard.  My house is still standing, but hey, I'm always up for a good fairy tale.

I woke up this morning (always a good thing) and flipped on The Weather Channel.  I pushed the little red dot on my clicker and up popped my local weather (this is a very cool thing I just discovered on my remote, after all these years).  The local weather for my favorite zip code (here) reported that today would be beautiful (of course).  It also said a cold front was on its way.  Ut oh.  That still kind of puts fear in my heart.  Cold front.  No, its not going to snow.  No ice.  No hail.  No ridiculous things like that.  But, they said a big blow was coming, and temps would plunge.  Into the 60s!!!  We might even see 50-something on the overnight.  Brr.

Did I ever tell you that when we first bought the B&B, the other happy vegan set out immediately to "hardening" the inn.  Making it more storm secure.  He also set about making it much more energy efficient.  This included the addition of something neat-o called "mini-split" air conditioners.  When the minis arrived for installation, he indicated he wanted the heat option added.  Heat?  He was virtually laughed out of the room by the HVAC installers.  Thankfully he doesn't really care what others think about things like that, and the heat option was installed.  Our entire B&B, every guest room and my own quarters, has heat.  Glorious heat.

Who's laughing now, eh?

I came home from the gym tonight in my shorts, running tank and sneakers.  Plus a sweatshirt with the hood pulled up around my head as tight as possible.  This tenderfoot's teeth were practically chattering.  I admit it, I'm a wuss.  A proud, island living, summer loving, heat loving, wuss.

I become uncomfortable as soon as the temps drop below 75.  This is no lie.

I already prepped our current guests not to make fun of my attire tomorrow.  I explained that I'm sure I'll greet them in a hat, scarf, long pants, long sleeves, socks and whatever else I can dig out. Down here when a cold front blows through, you can always spot a local.  Winter coats pop out.  Hats.  Gloves.  You can also always spot a visitor.  Tank tops.  Flip flops. Bikinis.  It's all too true.

So, Old Man Winter is making quite the racket tonight.  My chimes are making themselves known (I think the other happy vegan actually took down my huge heroic chimes already, he's not a fan with winds like this).  I'm already plotting and planning my workout tomorrow. The winds are coming north.  Whipping off the Bight.  I know what to expect, and it's not going to be what I signed up for when moving here.  I'm going to get pushed back and forth across the street by the winds.  I finally sprung for some cold weather running gear.  Special fabrics to run in when its cold.  Long sleeves. Long running tights. Basically polar bear wear.  Its not here yet. I've tracked it almost hourly.  Its "in transit."  All that really means is "not on my body." Sigh.

Oh yeah, sure, we're still warmer than the rest of the entire country. Oh yeah, sure this is still the only place I want to be, the only place to be at times like this.  But still, my blood has thinned from island living, and never forget that I've donated pretty much every warm article clothing I owned to charity before I moved here.

I'm so happy I sprung for that Sea Shepherd beanie.  I wonder how it will look with my magic purple hair. I think I've got the key for tomorrow's successful run.

No comments:

Post a Comment