Recent_Comments

Monday, October 31, 2011

Vegan Goodness in the Keys

Remember my post not too long ago about our tiny vacation in Key West, 2 nights, with a Gift Certificate we had?  That it rained, constantly.  That streets were flooded, and that I woke up our 1st morning to watch kayakers paddling down the street in front of my hotel?  Well, there was a bright spot (well, a few bright spots, but let's concentrate on one, shall we?)  Food.

Vegan food to be precise.

Ah, the joy of being vegan. Eating real food, with no death involved.  Its a wonderful thing, really it is.  Here, in photos, are some of the wonderful meals I had while in Key West.  I forgot to take pictures at some places, and other times I was sans camera.  But, for your viewing pleasure, here's a glimpse in photos:

Here's a picture of a lovely bibb lettuce salad I had our first night at Hot Tin Roof.  I'd never been there before, I'm more a creature of habit, going where I'm used to getting vegan food.  But, we had a gift certificate for Hot Tin too.  I'm so glad we went!  The salad was delicious, some type of light & creamy vinaigrette on there too.... but look at the entree' below!

Now you're talking!  The chef gave us choice of 2 completely vegan options, we chose this. Tofu over roasted potatoes, with balsamic reduction, onions and oh jeez, I don't know what else.  It was so fantastic, no room for dessert (indeed!)

This slightly out of focus picture shows my "to go" breakfast from Help Yourself, located on Fleming Street in Key West.  I do believe they are the ONLY place to get a true vegan breakfast in Key West, and never have I been disappointed.  Ever.  Here is my vegan french toast. Huge slabs of multi-grain mango bread, toasted a la french, with fresh organic fruit and an organic maple-y non-dairy butter of sorts (sunflower butter perhaps?) on the side.  Absolutely delicious (even eaten in the car ride back to Big Pine Key to check on the kitties....)


See!  I TOLD ya it was good even in the car!


Ok, I know this isn't food, but look at this beautiful archway.  We stopped at The Porch located in the Porter House Mansion during a break in the monsoon rains our 2nd night in Key West.  The Porch is a craft beer and wine bar offering organic root beer on tap. Although that night they were out of the root beer (insert big frown here) I managed to have some other fizzy drink while sitting on The Porch's porch.  And, I found myself wondering how many birds have built nests on the shelf of this very arch in the over 100 years the mansion has been there.  So, I took a picture and thought about baby birdies.

I never tire of Italian food, it's my favorite.  Our 2nd night we decided to eat at La Trattoria on Duval Street. I have never had a bad meal here, and the service is always attentive. This, coupled with a great wine list, I'm a happy vegan gal. Here's my salad, before the other happy vegan dumped all his hot peppers on my plate too.

Here's an example of me forgetting to take a picture before dinner. This was a plate of penne arrabiata. A really good plate of penne arrabiata. If the other happy vegan would have tried to sample my dinner, I think I would've forked him in the hand.  Just sayin'.

And, although I had no room for dessert, I always love a good espresso after a nice Italian meal. Tasty!


Ah.... back to Help Yourself for morning #2. Another plate of vegan french toast. This time with organic apples & organic grapes. The maple stuff was already added, since it wasn't "to go."  Yes, that's right, the morning we were leaving to go home, the sun came out. We ate outside on the picnic tables at Help Yourself.  When in Key West, if you want some straight up damn tasty ORGANIC food, this is THE place to go. Bliss once again.

Yay!  Lunchtime arrived, and we followed the painted bananas to The Sugar Apple's ALL VEGAN cafe!  That's my reusable grocery bag on the pavement, maybe I should've removed that for the photo?


Here's the Sugar Apple sign. I think the paint job on the building is cool!

Yay!  Here was my lunch on day #1 rainy day, from Sugar Apple.  Smokey tempeh on multi grain, with a beautiful salad.  Eaten back at the hotel, on my rain soaked balcony, overlooking the windswept Gulf, a beautiful pool (with nobody in it due to lightning) and their rain soaked outdoor bar. Still, lunch was tasty!

So, there you have a bit of what we experienced eating our way through our rainy mini-vacation. Don't ever let anyone tell you vegans are pasty lentil eating freaks. We're foodies through and through!  Its a beautiful thing to know that no animals were harmed, tortured and killed merely to satisfy my desire for a sandwich. Not to mention the health benefits that go along with this....do YOU think we were deprived of anything at all while eating?  Hardly!  And, we even had cookies.  Go veg, and no one gets hurt.  xo


No comments:

Post a Comment