Recent_Comments

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Funky But Chic

"Let's get on down to the boutique
Let's bring back something that's funky but chic."

Today's post is dedicated to the death of good sense in the fashion industry.

Have you heard the screams, but not known the source?  Don't worry, it was only me in various fitting rooms from the mainland to Key West.

Forget all the skills I have, all the schooling I've had, and all the jobs/careers I've had so far.  I should've just gone to design school. What passes for fashion today is pathetic.

I've looked for months, from Ft. Lauderdale to Key West.  Malls, thrift shops, designer boutiques, internet shopping.  I need a dress for an event next month, I've blogged about it before. Flip flops and shorts won't do.  This is something where I'll get hair and make up done, and pull on "real world" clothing.  The waters are rough, yet strangely familiar.  All those years anguishing over perfect outfits; lusting for certain shoes, boots, clothing or jewelry seem to have involved someone else, not me. Yet, I look at old photos and I'm proven wrong... it was me.  How did I end up where I am and how I am, I'm not so sure.  But, the me of today is at odds over the fashion of today.  Not good.

I've come up with one dress I bought as a back up, now at the seamstress, and another thing that the other Happy Vegan told me not to buy, but I did anyway.  When I ran it past 2 friends in the fashion world, essentially they affirmed the "what were you thinking" thought bubble that Mr. Happy Vegan wouldn't say, but I knew was there.

The dresses I've found have feathers, cut outs, plunging fronts, plunging backs, nasty colors, too big, too small, too this, too that.  Nothing fits, nothing is nice, nothing is appropriate.

"You funky but, funky but, alright, alright, alright."

Sigh.

Another road trip is percolating.  I'm cringing at the thought. My friend J says she'll go anywhere with me to find a dress, now THAT'S friendship.   But, I'm not sure time is on my side anymore. Its not working out.  Eight months searching for the dress. I gave it a good shot, I really did, but its down to the wire, and its only a back up dress.  I still don't have shoes, and ugh, jewelry is a whole other issue.

"My momma thinks I look pretty fruity but in jeans I feel rockin’"

If only it were that easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment